Request divorce certificate

Are you divorced? Then you can request written proof of this. You will get a copy of the certificate in Dutch or a multiple-language (international) extract. You request this in the municipality where you were married.


  • You were married in The Hague.
  • You registered your divorce with the municipality.

Did you get married abroad but divorced in the Netherlands? Then you can only request a copy of the divorce certificate. Would you like to request an extract? Then you need to register foreign documents in the BRP with the Registry Office of the Municipality of The Hague.

How does it work?

An authority asks for your divorce certificate. You request this in the municipality where you were married. You will then get a copy or a multiple-language (international) extract of the certificate. This will state that you dissolved your marriage. The original certificate remains the property of the municipality.

Which document do I need?

Usually the authority requesting the certificate will tell you which document you need. It will also indicate how old the document may be. The difference between the copy and the multiple-language (international) extract:

  • A copy contains exactly the same information as the certificate itself. It is also called a certified, official or authenticated copy. The copy is only available in Dutch.
  • A multiple-language (international) extract is a summary of the certificate. The extract has an explanation in 10 languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Turkish and Serbo-Croatian.

When you apply for the certificate you can indicate which document you would like to have.


€ 15.70 (rate in 2023) excluding postage costs. After you have applied you will receive an invoice by email.

How long does it take?

The municipality will send you the copy or multiple-language (international) extract within 3 weeks.

Good to know

  • You can also request a copy or extract for someone else. Read more about this under Request a civil status document for someone else.
  • If you would like to use the document abroad, then you often need an 'apostille'. You can request this through the court. Read more about the legalisation of Dutch documents on the website of the Dutch government.
  • Do you need to have the document translated? You can have documents from abroad translated into Dutch by a sworn translator.


Apply for the divorce certificate

    Belangrijke informatie:

    Would you like to request the certificate using your DigiD? You need to be registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP). Read more about the BRP on the website of the Dutch government.

    Also see