Certificate of unmarried status

You can use a certificate of unmarried status to prove that you are not married. For example, if you wish to marry abroad.

A certificate of unmarried status is an extract from the Personal Records Database (BRP).

  • online: your DigiD
  • in person: a Begin link: valid form of identification, end link. . Are you applying for a certificate on behalf of someone else? Bring (a copy of) a valid form of identification for that person. You will also need written authorisation
  • in writing: a copy of your valid form of identification and a letter which you have signed. The letter should state why you need the certificate

  • You are registered at an address in The Hague.
  • If you live abroad, you can only visit the Begin link: RNI counter, end link. for a certificateof unmarried status. When you apply select an International Extract with marital status and nationality. You can also indicate the desired language.
  • Did you live abroad for some time? The municipality will not be able to prove that you were unwed during this period. You must be able to prove this yourself. Do you have questions about this? Then please contact the authority which is requesting the certificate of unmarried status.
  • You can get an extract in several languages. This certificate is then drawn up in Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian or Turkish. Is an extract not available in the desired language or will the authority not accept it? Then you need to have the extract translated yourself by a sworn translator.

  • € 16.60 (in 2024) When you apply online, you pay these costs directly via iDEAL.
  • Postage will be charged for a written application. You will be billed for this.
You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.

  • online: 3 working days
  • at the counter: immediately
  • in writing: 1 week. The municipality will respond to your request in writing

Would you like to get married in another country? Then you will sometimes need a Begin link: certificate of no impediment, end link. . This document states that you are currently married and that you and your partner are permitted to get married under Dutch law.

  • Apply for the extract online (in Dutch). Log in with DigiD. Once you are logged in, click on ‘Volgende’. You can then choose which extract you need.

You can make a safe copy of your identity document with your mobile telephone or tablet using the KopieID app. Read more on the Begin external link: website of the Government of the Netherlands(External link), end external link..


How can we help?


More options

To contact page