Birth and adoption

  • Register a birth

    If you have just had a baby, you will have to register the birth with the Registry Office of the municipality within 3 working days.

  • Birth certificate

    A birth certificate provides written proof that your birth is recorded in the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

  • Choose a surname for your child

    Parents can decide whether to give their first-born child the mother’s surname or the father’s surname. You can register your choice at the municipality in a declaration of surname choice.

  • Acknowledgement of Parenthood (AOP) before the birth

    The father or the same-sex mother who is not the birth mother can formally acknowledge parenthood before the birth. This is called ‘acknowledgement of an unborn child’.

  • Acknowledgement of Parenthood (AOP) after the birth

    When the parents of a child are not married or have not entered into a registered partnership, the father or the same-sex mother (not the birth mother) can formally acknowledge parenthood after the birth. This can be done during the entire lifespan of a child.

  • Register children adopted in the Netherlands

    If you have adopted a child in the Netherlands, then you need to register him with the municipality. The adopted child will then be entered in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

  • Register children adopted from abroad

    Did you adopt a child abroad and is that child going to live in The Hague? Then you must register the child in the Personal Records Database (BRP).