Request a house number

A house number is needed for mail delivery and for emergency services to be able to reach you. You do not have your own house number? You can request one at the municipality.

You do not need to request a house number if you are also applying for an environment and planning permit. You will automatically get a house number for a new environment and planning permit.

Are you going to build or renovate a house and have you not yet applied for an environment and planning permit (omgevingsvergunning)? First do a permit check in the Begin external link: Omgevingsloket(External link), end external link. to see if you need a permit. If the municipality gives you the permit, you will automatically get a new house number.

If you do not need an environment and planning permit, you can apply for a house number on this page. You can apply by filling in the application and submitting the required documents. The municipality will then check if:

  • the living space is self-contained (independent)
  • the property complies with the building code
  • the owner of the building has an environment and planning permit

If your application meets all of the conditions, you will get a house number. The municipality will provide all official organisations, such as the Tax Administration (Belastingdienst), of the new house number. You must inform all other organisations of your new house number yourself.

You will only get a new house number for an ‘independent living space’. For example, a house, apartment or commercial space. This kind of property or space must meet the following conditions:

  • It has private access from the public road, a yard or a shared access such as a vestibule, gallery or staircase.
  • It has its own front or back door which you can lock from the inside and outside.
  • It can be sold or rented as independent living or commercial space.
  • It has its own equipment such as a bathroom, WC and kitchen which proves that the living  or commercial space is independent.

  • A sketch of the living or commercial space for which you are requesting a house number.
  • A floor plan and layout of the space or the building in the old and new situation.
  • A copy of the purchase deed or rental agreement (if this applies to your situation).
  • Information about when the current situation arose. For example the date of construction/conversion into rooms or an apartment (if this applies to your situation).

Sketches do not need to be completely to scale. They should, however, provide a clear reflection of the actual situation.

  • Are you are renting a room? And are you sharing the bathroom, WC and kitchen with other residents? Then you cannot apply for your own house number.
  • Without a valid house number you will be unable to register at your address or register your company at the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce KVK.
  • Do you want to divide a property into 2 or more apartments? This is called property division or structurally dividing the property. Look at Begin link: Apply for property conversion permit, end link. .


How can we help?


More options

To contact page