Shooting a film in The Hague

Would you like to shoot scenes for a film or television series? If so, The Hague has many options. Contact the Film Office for advice or apply for a permit now.

The Hague aims to facilitate professional film shoots and provide support wherever possible. To do this, the municipality has a policy of supporting film producers and directors who are planning to film in The Hague. The film commissioner is your intermediary between producers and the city of The Hague.

Film Office The Hague

Do you need help with any practical issues such as getting certain street furniture removed or who you should contact if you want to film in the Binnenhof. Film Office The Hague can help you.

The film commissioner can also put you in touch with his network. So you can get specific advice about things like hotel accommodation, catering, locations, use of PR and finding acting talent in The Hague. Doing away with unnecessary bureaucracy, Film Office The Hague serves national and international producers wanting to film in The Hague.

Contact Film Office

Ing Lim, film commissioner
Telephone: 06 83 62 16 34

Film locations

The film commissioner provides help and advice in finding a suitable film location. Are you looking for a very specific location with a suitable atmosphere for one or more scenes? With its rich past, coastal location and reputation as the international city of peace and justice, The Hague has many options.

A different procedure applies to filming in the Binnenhof. In this case, the application is initially submitted to the Binnenhofcommissie. If this committee has no objection, the permit procedure can start.

Permit categories

Film shoots are divided into categories according to the impact they have on public space.

Categories Description
Category A (small scale shoot) This relates to small scale shoots which have very little impact on public space. You use limited (mobile) equipment and have a small crew and cast. There is virtually no impact on the public space. Application period: 5 working days.
Category B (medium-sized shoot) This relates to shoots in which the public space will be used by a large cast and which require space for professional equipment and materials, such as cameras, lighting and scenery. Application period: 6 weeks.
Category C (extensive shoot) These are all shoots which are more extensive than categories A and B and/or involve diversions, stunts, mass extras or special effects, for example. Application period: 8 weeks.


At least 5 days before the first day of shooting, you must inform local residents/businesses in a letter drop.

Documents required with application

For the smooth handling of your application, please email the document(s) applicable to your production to

  • diversion plan
  • safety and security plan
  • copy resident letter
  • situation map


Obtaining permission to film involves costs in the form of fees. There are also costs when measures are required, such as cordoning off parking spots, exemptions and removing municipal property such as lampposts or parking meters.

Also see Apply for permission to shoot a film (in Dutch)

More information:

Published: 23 March 2017Modified: 6 February 2020