Apply for a refugee passport

The refugee passport is a travel document for people who are recognised as refugees in the Netherlands. It is also a valid form of identification. You may not use the refugee passport to travel to your country of origin.

You can travel abroad using your refugee passport. You will still need a visa for many countries. The embassy of the country to which you are travelling can give you more information.


  • You are recognised as a refugee by the United Nations (UN) and the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
  • You are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of The Hague.
  • A refugee passport is valid for a maximum of 5 years. The exact length of validity depends on your residence permit.

What to take to your appointment

  • A valid residence permit.
  • A passport photo: strict requirements apply to the passport photo. For example, the passport photo may not be more than 6 months old at the date of application and must be a true likeness. Read all of the requirements for photos on the website of the Dutch government.
  • Your current refugee passport, if you have one.
  • Are you applying for a travel document for your child? Then you need written consent from the people with parental responsibility and your child needs to be present at the appointment and when you collect the document. You can use the Declaration of consent for Dutch travel documents.
  • Younger than 18 years old? Make sure you have the permission of both parents or the people with parental responsibility and bring their valid proof of identity. You can use the Declaration of consent for Dutch travel documents.


          • Make an appointment to apply for a refugee passport. This way you do not need to wait for a long time at the city office.
          • Go in person to the Department of Public Service counter at the city office to apply for your refugee passport.
          • Pick up the refugee passport yourself at the city office where you applied for it. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it.

          Make an appointment


          Rate for 2021: € 56.55.

          In certain cases a supplementary fee will be charged on top of the price of a refugee passport. For example, for an expedited procedure. (€ 50.90).

          These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.

          How long does it take?

          5 working days. The pick-up receipt will state the date as of when you can collect your passport and what you need to take with you when you pick it up. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will no longer be valid and the municipality will have to destroy it. If you would like a travel document after this 3-month period, then you will have to apply and pay for it again.

          If your passport is lost or stolen, it can take more time. You will be notified by the municipality.

          Expedited procedure

          Do you need the new passport urgently? Indicate during your appointment that you would like to use the expedited procedure. You will not have to wait as long but it is also more expensive (look at ‘Fees’). If you submit the application before 14.00 hrs., you can pick up your new second passport after 2 working days. For example: if you submit it Monday before 14.00 hrs. you can pick it up on Wednesday. An expedited procedure is not always possible. It depends on your refugee status.