Apply for a passport and identity card for Dutch citizens abroad

Do you have Dutch nationality and do you live abroad? You can apply for a new travel document at the Netherlands embassy or consulate in the country in which you live. You can also apply for a new travel document in a number of municipalities, including The Hague, if you are in the Netherlands on vacation or a business trip for example.

This applies to a passport, second passport, business passport and identity card.

Where can you apply?

You can apply at the municipalities of The Hague, Enschede, Maastricht, Echt-Susteren, Oldambt, Bergen op Zoom, Montferland, Bergeijk, Venlo, Breda, Sluis and at the counter of the municipality of Haarlemmermeer at Schiphol Airport.

Who is it for?

For all Dutch citizens living abroad.


    • You have Dutch nationality.
    • You are not registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).
    • The passport and the identity card remain the property of the state. This is why you may not throw them away or destroy them when they have expired. You must turn in your old passport or identity card when you get the new one. If you wish, your old passport or identity card can be made invalid so that you can keep them.

    What to take to your appointment

    • A passport photo. Strict rules apply to passport photos. Read the rules on the website of the Government of the Netherlands.
    • All travel documents. Bring all the travel documents that you have, even any foreign passports if you have more nationalities than only Dutch. The municipality will take back any expired Dutch travel documents.
    • Has your travel document been stolen? Then you will fill in a declaration of loss when you apply for a new travel document.
    • Proof of residence abroad. This is needed to confirm your nationality.
      This may be: a valid residence permit or a declaration by the relevant authority regarding your residency and nationality. They must be the original documents.
    • If necessary, additional documents which prove your Dutch nationality. Your old passport or identity card does not prove that you have Dutch nationality. It only shows that you had Dutch nationality at the moment that it was issued. On you can refer to the list of countries to see which documents you need in order to apply for a Dutch travel document. The documents you need to submit at a Netherlands embassy or consulate are the same documents you need to submit for an application procedure at the municipality.
    • If you have gotten another nationality, then bring the documents that show how and when you got this nationality.
    • Do you live in the Caribbean Netherlands? Then you also need the following documents.

      • a Dutch travel document
      • proof of registration or deregistration containing a statement of your nationality from the CAS islands (Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten). If you are from the BES islands (Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba), this is not necessary.
      • if you have gotten another nationality, then bring the documents showing how and when you got this nationality.
      • even if you have these documents, the municipality may conduct further investigation into your nationality through the Caribbean Netherlands.
    • Have you never been registered in the Netherlands? Then in some cases you also need to provide your original birth certificate and the marriage certificate of your parents. This is not required if you were born in The Hague and/or your parents were married in The Hague. This is also not required if you were born abroad and/or your parents were married abroad and these foreign certificates were converted into Dutch certificates at the Department of National Tasks (Afdeling Landelijke Taken) of the Municipality of The Hague.
        Foreign certificates are not automatically legal in the Netherlands. You can refer to the list of countries on the website of to see which type of legalisation or apostille applies to which country.
        • Are you applying for a travel document for your child?
          Then you need the written permission of the parental authorities and your child must be present at the application appointment and when you collect the travel document. To give permission, use the Permission for a travel document form. A declaration from the relevant authority regarding residence and nationality of the Dutch parent/parents and the child is also required. They must be original documents.
        • Are you younger than 18 years and are you applying for a passport or are you younger than 12 years and are you applying for an identity card?

          • Bring a valid proof of identity or a copy of the valid proof of identity of both parents or of your legal guardians with you. Bring (a copy of) the valid proof of identity of both parents or the parental authorities.
          • Also make sure you have their permission. You can use the Permission for a travel document form. Bring the completed form with you.
        Permission for a travel document form (PDF, 103,1 kB)

        Language requirements

        Check on the translating foreign documents page for the language requirements for the documents.


        You can apply in The Hague by appointment only at City Hall Spui.

        Due to high demand, it is advisable for you to make an appointment well in advance.

        Make an appointment

        • Come to the appointment in person.
        • During the application appointment, you usually hear when you may collect your travel document. Otherwise you will be notified by telephone as soon as it is ready.
        • Collect your passport or identity card from City Hall Spui in person. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will no longer be valid and the municipality is obliged to annul it. Would you like a travel document after this 3-month period? Then you will have to apply and pay for it again.


        • (business and second) passport for 18 years and older: € 110.40
        • (business and second) passport up to 18 years: € 92.55
        • identity card for 18 years and older: € 98.60
        • identity card up to 18 years: € 71

        Rates 2020.

        These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application at City Hall Spui. You can pay cash as well as by bank card.

        How long does it take?

        The standard duration for the completed application procedure for a passport or identity card for Dutch people abroad is 3 working days. This period of 3 working days takes effect on the following working day. If you submit your application on Tuesday, for example, your passport or identity card will be ready on Friday. The pick-up receipt will state what you need to take with you.

        The application is deemed complete only once all the original documents have been received and no additional documents or investigation are required. If further investigation is required, the procedure may take up to 8 weeks.

        Duration of validity

        A passport and identity card are valid for 10 years if you are 18 years or older at the time of application. If you are under 18 years at the time of application, they are valid for 5 years. You can renew your passport and identity card at any time. You do not need to wait until they have expired.