Apply for an alien’s passport

Are you living here without Dutch citizenship (nationality)? And are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? Then you can apply for an alien’s passport. It is also a valid form of identification.

You can travel to any country with an alien’s passport or a refugee passport, except your country of origin. For many countries you still need a visa. The embassy of the country where you are travelling can give you more information (see: Begin external link: I’m going on holiday abroad. Do I need a visa?(External link), end external link.).

  • You must be able to show that you are unable to get a passport in your country of origin.
  • You are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of The Hague.
  • An alien’s passport is valid for a maximum of 5 years. The exact length of validity depends on your residence permit.

  • Make an appointment to apply for an alien’s passport.
  • Visit the Department of Public Service counter at Begin link: City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office, end link. to apply for your alien’s passport.
  • Sign the application form. The municipality will send this together with an accompanying letter to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). After that, the form will go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If both organisations approve it, the municipality will request your alien’s passport.
  • The municipality will notify you when your alien’s passport is ready. The pick-up receipt will state what you need to take with you when you pick up your passport. Pick up the alien’s passport yourself at the city office where you applied for it.

€ 63.40

These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.

The application for an alien’s passport takes 2 to 4 months. The procedure takes a long time because the Begin external link: Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)(External link), end external link. will also take a decision on your application.

You must pick up your alien’s passport yourself. Nobody else is allowed to do this for you. You can collect your alien’s passport anytime during the opening hours of City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. You do not need to make an appointment to collect it.

Needed when collecting the document

Are you 18 years or older and are you coming to collect your alien’s passport? Then you need to take the following:

  • the pick-up receipt
  • your current passport or identity card, if it has not yet expired. You will need to turn it in.

Young people between 12 and 18 years

An underage child between the ages of 12 and 18 years may collect an alien’s passport himself. Only the pick-up receipt and the current identity document are required.

Child younger than 12 years

Is the child younger than 12 years? The following is also needed when collecting the document:

  • 1 of the parents with parental responsibility or 1 other person with parental responsibility or somebody who has been given permission. The person accompanying the child must be 18 years or older.
  • Written consent from a person with parental responsibility. This states that the person accompanying the child is allowed to collect the document together with the child.
  • A valid (copy of the) identity document for a parent or a person with parental responsibility. The signature on the identity document must match the signature on the consent form.


How can we help?


More options

To contact page