Apply for a passport and identity card for Dutch citizens without a fixed domicile

Do you have Dutch citizenship (nationality) but no fixed address or place of residence? Then you can apply for a passport or identity card at a number of municipalities.

Belangrijke informatie:

Are you applying for an identity card that will be valid on 1 January 2021 or later? You can use it to login on DigiD. Once you have logged in, you can easily arrange your government, healthcare, education and pension fund affairs. After collecting your identity card from the municipality, you will receive a letter from DigiD within 5 working days. You can then login to DigiD with your card. Also see

Belangrijke informatie:

You can apply for a new passport or identity card in The Hague but also at a number of other municipalities: BergeijkBergen op ZoomBredaEcht-SusterenEnschedeMaastrichtMontferlandOldambtSluisVenlo, and at the counter of the municipality of Haarlemmermeer at Schiphol Airport.


  • You have Dutch citizenship (nationality).
  • You live in the Netherlands.
  • You are not registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) anywhere in the Netherlands.


    • Call tel. 14070 for an appointment. The municipality will phone you back within 3 working days to make an appointment.
    • You need to attend the appointment in person.
    • Collect your passport or identity card in City Hall Spui yourself. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will no longer be valid and the municipality will destroy it. Would you still like a passport or identity card after these 3 months? Then you have to apply and pay for it again.

    Needed for the application

    • A passport photo: strict rules apply to the passport photo. Read these requirements on the website of the Dutch government.
    • All of your passports or identity cards.
    • Documents which prove that you live in the Netherlands. For example a statement about your welfare benefits or employer, insurance papers, housing permit, salary slips or bank statements. The municipality can use this to determine your citizenship.
    • Have you gotten another citizenship? Bring documents showing how and when you got this citizenship.

      Apply for your child

      To apply for a passport for a child younger than 18 years (passport) or younger than 12 years (identity card) you need:

      • written consent from both parents or from the people with parental responsibility. You can download the consent form from
      • a (copy of a) valid proof of identity for the people who signed the form.

      Your child must be present when you apply and when you pick up the passport or identity card.

      Your passport or identity card has been lost or stolen

      Has your passport been lost or stolen? Then report this when you apply for a new passport or identity document.


      Rate in 2023
      (business and second) passport for 18 years and older € 117.35
      (business and second) passport up to18 years € 98.40
      identity card for 18 years and older € 113.20
      identity card up to 18 years € 80.80

      The fees are higher than for a 'regular' application because you are not registered in the BRP. The application requires extra administration. You pay the fees when you apply at the municipal counter in City Hall Spui. You can pay in cash or use a bank card there.

      How long does it take?

      • The municipality will first check whether the application is complete. Once all of the documents are in order, your passport or identity card will be ready after 3 working days.
      • Sometimes additional documents are needed or further investigation is required. Most cases require further investigation. This can take up to 8 weeks.

        Collecting the document

        You must pick up your passport or identity card yourself. Nobody else is allowed to do this for you. You can collect your passport or identity card anytime during the opening hours of City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. You do not need to make an appointment to collect it.

        Needed when collecting the document

        Are you 18 years or older and are you coming to collect your passport or identity card? Then you need to take the following:

        • the pick-up receipt
        • your current passport or identity card, if it has not yet expired. You will need to turn it in.

        Young people between 12 and 18 years

        An underage child between the ages of 12 and 18 years may collect a passport or identity card himself. Only the pick-up receipt and the current identity document are required.

        Child younger than 12 years

        Is the child younger than 12 years? The following is also needed when collecting the document:

        • 1 of the parents with parental responsibility or 1 other person with parental responsibility or somebody who has been given consent. The person accompanying the child must be 18 years or older.
        • Written consent from a person with parental responsibility. This states that the person accompanying the child is allowed to collect the document together with the child.
        • A valid (copy of the) identity document for a parent or a person with parental responsibility. The signature on the identity document must match the signature on the consent form.

        Good to know

        • Did you deregister from the Personal Records Database (BRP) after September 1994? Do you now have a home address in the Netherlands and would you like to register there? Then you can also use an expired passport or identity card. You can register right away in the BRP of the municipality where you are living.
        • Do you have a mailing address? Apply for an identity card or passport at the municipality where this address is.