Apply for a Dutch identity card

Are you registered in the Municipality of The Hague? Then you can apply for an identity card here.



      • Make an appointment to apply for a passport.
      • This appointment will be at the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office.
      • You need to attend the appointment in person.
      • You need to collect your passport yourself, at the city office where you applied for it.

      Make an appointment

      What to take to your appointment

      • A passport photo. Strict rules apply to the passport photo. Read the requirements for photos on the website of the Dutch government.
      • All travel documents. Bring all your travel documents with you, such as passports and identity cards. Also bring any foreign passports if you have more nationalities than only Dutch. The municipality will take back the expired Dutch travel documents. If you wish, they can be made invalid so that you can keep them.
      • Are you applying for an identity card for your child? Then your child has to be present at the appointment and when picking up the card.
      • Is your child younger than 12 years? Then you also need to take:

        • (a copy of) the valid proof of identity of both parents or the parental authorities
        • permission from both parents or the parental authorities. You can use the Permission for a travel document form. Bring the completed form with you.
        Permission for a travel document form (PDF, 103,1 kB)


        • identity card 18 years and older: € 58.30
        • identity card up to 18 years: € 30.70
          Young people with an Ooievaarspas can apply for a free identity card (in Dutch).
        • rush fee for expedited procedure: € 49.85

        These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application.

        Rates 2020.

        You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui and the Leyweg City Office.

        How long does it take?

        5 working days. The pick-up receipt will state the date as of when you can collect your identity card. You must collect it within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will no longer be valid and the municipality is obliged to annul it. Would you like a travel document after this 3-month period? Then you will have to apply and pay for it again.

        Collecting the identity card

        The holder of the identity card must pick up the document in person.

        Children aged 12 years and older may pick up their identity card themselves.

        If a child is younger than 12 years, he must be accompanied by a parent or parental authority. The child may also be accompanied by another adult over the age 18 if the parent or parental authority has provided written permission.

        You need to take:

        • The pick-up receipt and the documents stated in the pick-up receipt. These could include:

          • Your identity card if it has not yet expired. You need to turn this card in.
          • If you have one: the current passport, if it has not yet expired.

        If the person accompanying the child is not the parent or parental authority, you need to take the following documents with you:

        • Written permission from the parent or parental authority authorising the person accompanying the child to pick up the identity card.
        • A valid (copy of the) ID for the parent or parental authority. The signature on the permission slip must match the signature on the ID for the parent or parental authority.

        Expedited procedure

        Do you need the new identity card urgently? Indicate during your appointment that you would like to use the expedited procedure. You will not have to wait as long but it is also more expensive (look at ‘Fees’). If you submit the application before 14.00 hrs., you can pick up your identity card after 2 working days. For example: if you submit it Monday before 14.00 hrs. you can pick it up on Wednesday.

        Extra information

        Duration of validity

        A Dutch identity card is valid for 10 years if you are 18 years or older at the time of application. If you are under 18 years at the time of application, it is valid for 5 years.

        Name on identity card

        Your birth name will always appear on your identity card, even if your marital status changes.

        Property of the state

        The identity card remains the property of the state. This is why you may not throw it away or destroy it if it has expired. You must turn in your old passport when you receive a new passport.

        Stolen identity card

        Has your identity card been stolen? Go to Stolen or lost passport, driving licence or identity card.

        Where is the identity card valid?

        A list of the countries where you can travel with your Dutch identity card can be found on the website of the Dutch government.

        Home visit

        Do you want to apply for a Dutch identity card but you are unable to visit a city district office in person? You may be entitled to a home visit. Read Home visit to apply for a Dutch identity card (in Dutch).

        Alternative address

        Do you have an alternative address? Apply for an identity card at the municipality under which that address falls.

        Travelling alone with children

        Are you planning to travel abroad with an underage child (younger then 18 years)? You almost always need permission from the other parent(s). Read more about this on the website of the Dutch government.