Convert a registered partnership into marriage

Do you have a registered partnership and would you like to marry your registered partner? Then you can convert your registered partnership into a marriage. You can do this at a municipal location or free-choice wedding venue.

Needed for converting a registered partnership

  • A valid form of identification for you and your partner.
  • Did you enter into a registered partnership in a different municipality from The Hague? Then you need a recently issued copy of the certificate of registered partnership. You can request this at the municipality where you entered into your registered partnership.
  • Does 1 of the partners live abroad? Then you also need a recently issued document stating the address and civil status of this partner.

You do not need any witnesses when converting your registered partnership.


  • At a municipal counter: € 164.10 (rate in 2023).
  • At a wedding location: see the rates per wedding location.

You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.


You can have your registered partnership converted at a wedding location or at a municipal counter. You need to notify the municipality of the conversion. To do this send an email to

    Both partners live abroad

    Do both you and your registered partner live abroad? And does 1 of you have Dutch citizenship (nationality)? Then the Department of National Tasks (Afdeling Landelijke Taken) at the Municipality of The Hague will arrange the conversion. Call the municipality to provide your name, the name of your partner, your email address and your (foreign) telephone number. From the Netherlands call tel. 14070. From abroad call tel. +3170 353 30 00.

    After your request is received, the Department of National Tasks will contact you within 2 working days. You will then hear which documents are needed for the conversion.