Status holders in The Hague

The Municipality of The Hague is keen to help resolve the refugee problem.

In addition to the number of refugees assigned to the municipality by the government, The Hague will accommodate an extra 700 refugees who have a temporary residence permit in 2016. This will relieve the burden on the asylum seekers’ centres and, as the City of Peace and Justice, we will contribute to the nationwide reception of the refugees.

For many years, the municipality has been accommodating refugees with a temporary residence permit and helps and assists them in finding a place in the local community.

Frequently asked questions

On this page, you will find frequently asked questions and answers relating to refugees in The Hague. This information will be edited and supplemented when more questions are received.

General information on status holders

You can find a great deal of general information on the housing for status holders in Dutch municipalities on the website of the Dutch government and on the website of the Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA).

What is a status holder?

A status holder is a refugee who has been granted a temporary residence permit on the basis of an asylum application. He or she may stay in the Netherlands for the coming 5 years and must leave the asylum seekers’ centre as soon as possible to start building up a normal life in society.

How long is a residence permit granted for?

In principle, refugees are given a permit for 5 years. If the situation in their homeland improves in the meantime, a permit may be withdrawn. After 5 years, it can be decided to grant them a residence permit for an indefinite period. This is only the case if the refugee cannot return to their homeland, if they have integrated into society here and if they have no criminal record.

How many status holders are waiting for a house in the Netherlands?

There are currently thousands of status holders in the Netherlands who are eligible to be housed. Once they are allocated a house in a municipality, they must attend an integration course, embark on a course of study and get a job.

Who decides how many status holders go to each municipality?

Every year, the government and the COA allocate a number of status holders to the municipalities. A large municipality is allocated more status holders than a smaller municipality. From the asylum seekers’ centre, homes are sought for the status holders in various municipalities. These centres are currently at bursting point. The government and the COA have asked municipalities to support them in making homes available for these status holders.

Housing in The Hague

Will the status holders be given priority when being allocated accommodation?

The government has determined that status holders will currently be given priority in getting housing. For years the policy is that status holders are allocated part of the public housing becoming available at various locations throughout The Hague. The accommodation of a large number of status holders, however, should not result in other people missing out on housing opportunities. This is why the municipality is seeking creative solutions by, for example, using empty office buildings and nursing homes or by building temporary housing units.

Supervision, integration and daily activities

Will the children of the status holders go to school?

All children between the ages of 5 and 18 years are obliged to go to school. It is important that the children first learn Dutch. There are various schools throughout the city with special classes for these children where they will receive intensive language training so that they can ultimately stream into regular schools.


How will safety be managed in the district?

The municipality attaches great importance to the personal safety of all its citizens. As the municipality, we pay a great deal of attention to this matter. The residents at the location will be subject to the same rules as anyone else living in the Netherlands. The municipality has made a number of agreements with the police to maintain public order and security in the area around the locations. In case of any nuisance or unsafe situations you can contact the police by calling tel. 0900- 88 44.

Published: 10 April 2017Modified: 9 August 2017