Renew driving licence if it’s damaged or unreadable
Is your driving licence damaged? Or has it become unreadable? Visit the municipality to apply for a new or replacement driving licence. A replacement driving licence will be valid until the same date as your old driving licence.
To obtain a driving licence, you need to meet 1 of the following conditions:
- You are a citizen of 1 of the EU or EEA countries or Switzerland.
- You have a valid residence permit.
You may not drive without a valid driving licence. You may only resume driving a motor vehicle when you have received the replacement or new driving licence.
Strict requirements apply to the passport photo. For example, the passport photo may not be more than 6 months old at the date of application and must be a true likeness. Read all of the requirements for photos on the .
Anyone who has passed the driving test in the Netherlands.
Rates from 1 July 2023:
- Application for a driving licence: € 48.15
- Application for a driving licence (expedited): € 48.15 + € 34.10 = € 82.25
These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.
- 5 working days.
- Do you need your driving licence quickly? Then you may use the expedited procedure, in which case you will receive your licence after a maximum of 2 working days (if the application is submitted before 14.00 hrs.). This procedure is more expensive.
- Apply for your driving licence in person at the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. You can make an appointment for this online.
- Pick up your driving licence in person at the where you applied for it. You must collect it within 3 months after applying for it. After that the document will be invalidated and the municipality will be obliged to destroy it. You will then have to apply and pay for it again.
- Are you applying for a new driving licence? Are you not yet 60? Then your new driving licence will usually be valid for 10 years.
- Are there ? Then you need a medical examination.
- Are you applying for a replacement driving licence? This driving licence will be valid until the same date as your old driving licence.