Request to keep data confidential

Would you prefer that companies are not able to access your personal details in the Personal Records Database (BRP)? Then you may submit a request to keep your data confidential.

With whom does the municipality share your details?

The municipality is obliged to provide your details to:

  • the police, public prosecution service and Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst). Other public authorities or agencies with a public law duty may also request access to your personal records. The municipality is then obliged to provide the information requested. The Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations determines what kind of information may be released.

The municipality sometimes shares your personal details with:

  • government and social agencies such as pension funds. They use the information to carry out their legal duties. Only in this case will your details be provided.
  • mandatory third parties. These are institutions or individuals which need access to the correct personal records to be able to carry out their legal duties. For example, a bankruptcy trustee or a lawyer.

If you have asked for your personal details to be kept confidential and a ‘mandatory third party’ requests access to your records, the Municipal Executive will weigh your interests against those of the applicant. Before the Municipal Executive grants the request to access your records:

  • you will receive a letter about it
  • you may submit a letter of objection with the Municipal Executive (you will have 4 weeks to do this)
  • your details will not be shared during this appeal period

More information can be found at

      Keeping your data confidential

      Do you object to your personal details being shared with other parties (other than with the obligatory organisations)? Then you may ask the municipality to keep your data confidential. All citizens have the right to privacy. This means your personal details will not be shared with:

      • non-commercial institutions such as sports clubs and music societies
      • foundations with a social function.
      • the Foundation for Interdenominational Membership Administration (Stichting Interkerkelijke Ledenadministratie or SILA), which manages the membership records for religious congregations

      Your details could still appear in the administration of the SILA. If you would like these details to be removed, you will need to contact the SILA via or your own congregation.

      The municipality will never provide your information to:

      • private individuals
      • commercial institutions

      Apply for request to keep data confidential

        Make an appointment

        • In writing: Send a signed letter with a copy of your valid form of identification to the Department of Public Service. Your request will be processed within 10 working days.

          You can make a safe copy of your identity document with your mobile telephone or tablet using the KopieID app. Read more on the website of the Dutch government.