Proof of deregistration from the Netherlands (before October 1994)

Did you deregister from the Netherlands before 1 October 1994? And you did not register in the Netherlands again after 1 October 1994? Then you can request proof of deregistration from the municipality. Or a copy of your personal record card from the settlement register (vestigingsregister).

Belangrijke informatie:

Did you live in the Netherlands for less than 4 months as of 1 October 1994? Or were you deregistered from the Netherlands on or after 1 October 1994? Request an Extract non-resident of the Netherlands (RNI) at the Municipality of The Hague. Or at 1 of the other 19 municipalities participating in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI).


  • You were deregistered from the Dutch population register (now the Personal Records Database) between 1940 and 1 October 1994.
  • You did not re-register in a municipality in the Netherlands after 1 October 1994. 

How does it work?

An authority asks for proof of deregistration or a copy of your personal record card from the settlement register. You request these at the Municipality of The Hague. You need this document, for example, if you want to renew your Dutch driving licence or travel document.

Which document do I need?

The authority will usually tell you which document you need. It will also indicate how old the document is allowed to be. The difference between the proof of deregistration and the copy of the personal record card:

  • The proof of registration contains the following information:

    • surname
    • first names
    • date and place of birth
    • date of deregistration
    • last municipality in which you were registered
    • country of destination
    • possibly your citizenship(s) (nationality or nationalities) and marital status on the date of deregistration
  • The copy of the personal record card contains all the information from the Dutch population registrar (now the Personal Records Database).

Needed for the application

Send the following information with your online application:

  • A letter with your personal details, your (postal) address or post office box number and the purpose of your request.
  • A copy of your valid form of identification.
  • Are you requesting a proof of deregistration for someone else? Then you will also need a copy of this person’s identification and written authorisation from this person.
  • Is the person for whom you are requesting a personal record card deceased? Then you need to send proof of their death. Proof of death could be a death certificate, a death announcement or a funeral announcement.
  • Do you need somebody's personal record card for genealogy research? Then you need to first submit your request to the Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie (CBG).


You can request the proof of deregistration or the copy of the personal record card online. Another municipality or public authority can also apply on your behalf. This can only be done online.

Request proof of deregistration

Apply in writing

Are you requesting proof for yourself? Then you can also request the proof of deregistration or the copy of the personal record card in writing.

Send the following documents and personal details with your written application:

  • a letter with your personal details and email address
  • the purpose of your request
  • a copy of your valid form of identification

Send your written application to:

Publiekszaken, Vestigingsregister
Postbus 12620
2500 DL Den Haag

  • Keep in mind that it takes longer to process applications in writing.
  • The municipality will not process applications received by email.
  • Businesses and organisations can only apply online.


    € 5 (rate in 2023). You will also have to pay for postage for a written application.

    How long does it take?

    The municipality will send you the proof of deregistration or a copy of your personal record card within 4 weeks. If you do not have an email address, you will receive the proof of deregistration by post.

    Belangrijke informatie:

    Because it is busy right now, it could take a bit longer to process your application.

    Good to know

    You can make a safe copy of your identity document with your mobile telephone or tablet using the KopieID app. Read more on the website of the Dutch government.