Declaration of unmarried status

You can use a declaration of unmarried status to prove that you are not married. For example, if you wish to marry abroad.

A declaration of unmarried status is an extract from the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).

Needed to apply for a declaration of unmarried status

  • online: your DigiD
  • in person: a valid form of identification. Are you applying for a declaration on behalf of someone else? Bring (a copy of) a valid form of identification for that person. You will also need written authorisation
  • in writing: a copy of your valid form of identification and a letter which you have signed. The letter should state why you need the declaration


  • You are registered at an address in The Hague.
  • If you live abroad, you can only visit the RNI counter for a declaration of unmarried status. When you apply select an International Extract with marital status and nationality. You can also indicate the desired language.
  • Did you live abroad for some time? The municipality will not be able to prove that you were unwed during this period. You must be able to prove this yourself. Do you have questions about this? Then please contact the authority which is requesting the declaration of unmarried status.
  • You can get an extract in several languages. This declaration is then drawn up in Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian or Turkish. Is an extract not available in the desired language or will the authority not accept it? Then you need to have the extract translated yourself by a sworn translator.


    • € 15.10 in 2020.
    • Postage will be charged for a written application. You will be billed for this.
    You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui and the Leyweg City Office.

    How long does it take?

    • online: 2 working days
    • at the counter: immediately
    • in writing: 1 week. The municipality will respond to your request in writing

    Declaration of no impediment

    Would you like to get married in another country? Then you will sometimes need a declaration of no impediment. This document states that you are currently married and that you and your partner are permitted to get married under Dutch law.


    • Apply for an extract online (in Dutch).