Register a birth

If you have just had a baby, you will have to register the birth with the Registry Office of the municipality.


You must register the birth in the municipality where the child was born.

The registration may be done by:

  • the child’s mother, father or co-mother
  • a person who was present at the birth (a friend, relative, midwife etc.)
  • a resident of the home where the child was born
  • the director of the hospital or clinic where the baby was born or a representative who has been authorised by the director.

If there is nobody who is permitted to register the birth, then the birth will be registered by the mayor of the municipality. The mayor will designate a municipal official to do this.

    What to bring to register the birth

    • A valid form of identification for the person registering the birth. This may be a driving licence as long as the person who is registering the birth is registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality where the birth is being registered.
    • A valid form of identification for the mother.

    The municipality will verify the authenticity of your official documents.

    • The given names, date of birth and time of birth for the child. You can bring the statement of birth from the hospital or midwife (which also states the name of the mother). The statement of birth is not mandatory; you may also provide this information yourself.
    • You can take your marriage or partnership booklet with you. The Registry Office will add your child to it (this is not mandatory).

    Register the birth

    • You need to register the birth of your child within 3 working days at the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. The day of the birth itself does not count.
    • An official from the Registry Office will then draw up the birth certificate. The certificate is proof that a child was born.
      If the mother is registered in The Hague, the child will be registered in the
      Personal Records Database (BRP) after the birth is registered and will get a citizen service number (BSN). The municipality will provide written proof of this.
      If the mother is registered in another municipality, that municipality will issue the BSN.
    • If you make an appointment, you will not have to wait at the city office.
    • If it is not possible to get an appointment within 3 days, you can visit a municipal counter during the opening hours. Please plan for a longer wait.

    Make an appointment


      Registering a birth is free of charge. When you register a birth, the official from the Registry Office will draw up a birth certificate. If you would like a copy of the birth certificate, please indicate this as well. You will then get the copy right away. The copy costs € 15.70 (rate in 2023).

      Not a resident of The Hague?

      Are you not registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of The Hague, but was your child born here? Then you still need to register the birth in The Hague:

      • The municipal official will check your personal data at the municipality in which you are registered.
      • The Municipality of The Hague will inform your municipality about the birth of your child.
      • You will receive a citizen service number (BSN) for your child from your municipality.

      Child born in the Netherlands to foreign parents

      Was your child born in the Netherlands and neither parent has Dutch citizenship? Then you will need to apply for a residence permit for your baby after you register the birth. This can be done online. Read more on the website of the IND.