Acknowledgment of Parenthood (AOP) before the birth

When the parents of a child are unwed and have not entered into an unmarried partnership, the father or the same-sex mother (not the birth mother) can formally acknowledge parenthood. This can already be done before the birth. The process is then called ‘Acknowledgment of Parenthood (AOP) before the birth’.


  • The person acknowledging parenthood must appear in person when acknowledging an unborn child.
  • The child's birth mother must give written permission for the acknowledgement of parenthood. If she appears in person, she can give this permission by signing the AOP certificate at the city district office. If the birth mother is not present during the acknowledgement, she can use this form:
    Toestemming tot erkenning vóór de geboorte (PDF, 7,4 kB)
    • Do you want the child to get the surname of the person acknowledging parenthood (man/woman)? Then the birth mother has to appear in person during the acknowledgement of the first child to choose the surname. This surname is valid for children with Dutch nationality. The declaration of surname choice can only be made for the first child and is applicable to all children born later to the same parents.
    • Are one or both of the parents not registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP, previously GBA) of the Municipality of The Hague? Then the Municipality of The Hague must first check the personal details at the municipality where the parent(s) is registered.
    • If the person acknowledging parenthood (man/woman) of the first child wants to acknowledge any later-born children, then the birth mother only has to give written permission. These children will get the same surname as the first child.

    What you need for the AOP

    • a valid form of identification for the child's birth mother and for the person acknowledging parenthood (man/woman).
    • if applicable, the AOP before the birth permission form (toestemming erkenning voor de geboorte).

    Does the birth mother or the person acknowledging parenthood (man/woman) live abroad? Then you may need more documents. Make an appointment using the green button below.

    Make an appointment

    To acknowledge the child before the birth, you need to make an appointment at the Centrum or Escamp city office.

      Make an appointment



      How long does it take?

      If all the conditions are met, the AOP certificate will be drawn up immediately.

      Consequences of acknowledgment before the birth

      The consequences of acknowledging parenthood of an unborn child are:

      • At birth the child will get Dutch nationality if one or both of the parents are Dutch.
      • The parent acknowledging parenthood will become (partially) financially responsible for the child.
      • A connection between the person acknowledging parenthood (man/woman) and the child will be established according to the law of inheritance.

      Acknowledging parenthood of an unborn child offers big advantages over acknowledging the child after birth:

      • The child has 2 legal parents immediately at birth. The person acknowledging parenthood (man/woman) will be immediately noted on the birth certificate as the parent.
      • Depending on the nationality, the surname choice is determined during the acknowledgement of the first child. Any children born later take the same surname if they have the same parents.

      Would you like more information about the conditions and consequences of acknowledging parenthood? Go to the website of the Rijksoverheid: Welke voorwaarden gelden er als ik mijn kind wil erkennen?

      Acknowledgement is not custody

      The person acknowledging parenthood (man/woman) does not get legal custody over the child. If you would like this, you will need to arrange it separately. More information about this can be found on the website of the Rijksoverheid: Ouderlijk gezag en voogdij.