Your search query

Japanese Garden in Clingendael Park

Published: 
27 January 2015
Modified: 
06 July 2015

The magnificent Japanese Garden is the crown jewel of Clingendael Park, with beautiful and rare trees and plants. The garden is extremely fragile. That is why the Japanese Garden is open only 6 weeks in the year.

Opening hours

Due to its fragility, the Japanese Garden can be visited only during a short period of the year.

  • Spring opening: 25 April to 7 June 2015, daily from 9.00 to 20.00 hrs. (as of 12.00 hrs. on 25 April)
  • Autumn opening: 10 to 25 October 2015, daily from 10.00 to 16.00 hrs.

Wedding photos

Wedding photos can be taken all year long in Clingendael Park. However, wedding photos can be taken in the Japanese Garden only when the garden is open to the public. More information can be found in Dutch under Trouwreportages Japanse Tuin.

Japanese Garden

History

The Japanese Garden was created in the beginning of the 20th century by the former owner of the country estate of Clingendael, Marguérite M. Baroness van Brienen (1871-1939), also called Lady Daisy. Lady Daisy undertook several voyages by ship to Japan. She brought back to the Netherlands a number of lanterns, a water cask, sculptures, the little bridges and possibly the pavilion. It is the only Japanese Garden in the Netherlands from around 1910 and therefore has a high historical value. The municipality has managed the Clingendael estate since 1954. Staff of Haeghe Schoon en Groen from the municipality's Haeghe Groep maintain the Japanese Garden.

The original design with the serene pond, meandering brook and the winding pathways has remained intact all these years.

Place of serenity and reflection

The garden has a unique and surprising atmosphere, partly thanks to the beautiful moss cover. The garden contains many stone lanterns in all shapes and sizes. It also has 2 water casks. One water cask has 4 images of Buddhas. The other water cask is in the shape of a lotus flower.

The beautiful pavilion offers a great vantage point to admire the garden. The pavilion had sliding doors until around 1940. These panels were put back in place in 2009 with the help of Japanese architects. Lady Daisy's legacy is now a place of serenity and reflection for visitors to the Japanese Garden.

Published: 
27 January 2015
Modified: 
06 July 2015

U verlaat DenHaag.nl. Wilt u doorgaan?