Laissez-passer to transport a deceased person abroad

You may transport a deceased person from the Netherlands to another country with a laissez-passer (transport ticket). The municipality has to grant approval for this transport. The laissez-passer states the name of the deceased and the place to which they are being taken.

You can arrange a laissez-passer at the Overlijdensloket at City Hall Spui.

Who is it for?

An undertaker asks the municipality for permission to transport the body abroad.  

Required to apply for a laissez-passer

  • the form to register a death in The Hague
  • a medical statement by a medical examiner or coroner
  • a certificate of death by natural causes or otherwise a declaration by the Public Prosecutor

Make an appointment

You can apply for a laissez-passer at the Overlijdensloket in City Hall Spui.
You can make an appointment do to this. Send an email to or contact the municipality.

The laissez-passer is available in Dutch, English, French and German.  


A laissez-passer costs € 11.30 (rate in 2023).

You can only use a bank card at the Overlijdensloket.

How long does it take?

You will get a laissez-passer during your appointment.

Also see: Register a death