Register a birth

If you have just had a baby, you will have to register the birth with the Registry Office of the municipality.

You must register the birth in the municipality where the child was born.

The birth is allowed to be registered by:

  • the child’s mother, father or co-mother
  • somebody who was present at the birth (a friend, relative, midwife etc.)
  • somebody who lives in the home where the child was born
  • the director of the hospital or clinic where the baby was born or a representative who has been authorised by the director.

If there is nobody who is permitted to register the birth, then the mayor of the municipality will register the birth. The mayor will designate a municipal official to do this.

  • A valid form of identification for the person registering the birth. This may be a driving licence if the person who is registering the birth is registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality where the birth is being registered.
  • A valid form of identification for the mother.

The municipality will verify the authenticity of your official documents.

  • The given names, date of birth and time of birth for the child. You can bring the statement of birth from the hospital or midwife (which also states the name of the mother). The statement of birth is not mandatory; you are also allowed to provide this information yourself.
  • If the child has already been acknowledged before the birth: a copy of the acknowledgement of parenthood certificate.
  • Is this your first child? Look at more information on Begin link: choosing a surname for your child, end link.
  • You can take your marriage or partnership booklet with you. The Registry Office will add your child to it (this is not mandatory).

  • You need to register the birth of your child within 3 working days at the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. The day of the birth itself does not count.
  • An official from the Registry Office will then draw up the birth certificate. The certificate is proof that a child was born.
    If the mother is registered in The Hague, the child will be registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) after the birth is registered and will get a citizen service number (BSN) right away. The municipality will provide written proof of this.
    If the mother is registered in another municipality, that municipality will issue the BSN.
  • Have you made an appointment? You will not have to wait at the city office.
  • If no appointments are available within the 3-day period, you can contact the municipality by calling tel. 14070.

Registering a birth is free of charge. When you register a birth, the official from the Registry Office will draw up a birth certificate. If you would like a copy of the birth certificate, please indicate this as well. You will then get the copy right away. The copy costs € 16.60 (rate in 2024).

Not a resident of The Hague?

You are not registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of The Hague, but your child was born here? Then you register the birth in The Hague:

  • The municipal official will check your personal data at the municipality where you are registered.
  • The Municipality of The Hague will inform your municipality about the birth of your child.
  • You will receive a citizen service number (BSN) for your child from the municipality where you live.

Child born in the Netherlands to foreign parents

Was your child born in the Netherlands and neither parent has Dutch citizenship? Then you will need to apply for a residence permit for the baby after you register the birth. This can be done online. Read more on the Begin external link: website of the IND(External link), end external link..


How can we help?


More options

To contact page