Apply for waste tax refund

In certain cases you can get a refund for the waste tax. This usually happens automatically. If you did not get an automatic refund, you can apply for it yourself.

No refund

If somebody moves in with you, somebody leaves your household, or somebody in your household dies during the course of the year, it will not have an effect on the waste tax for that year. The change in the composition of the household will not be reflected until the following year.

If you move within the Municipality of The Hague, you will get an assessment notice for the waste tax for your new address.

Refund applicable

The municipality will grant a refund for the remaining months of that year if:

  • the sole occupant dies
  • all the members of the household move.

    How long does it take?

    Your request will be processed within 8 weeks after it is submitted.


    You can apply for a refund online in MijnDenHaag ('bezwaar maken') or in writing.

    Apply for tax refund in MijnDenHaag

    Apply for refund
    No DigiD? Register for DigiD

    Apply for tax refund in writing

    You can also apply for a refund in writing. You will need your assessment notice for the application. The letter should state your name and address, the type of tax, the tax year, the assessment number and the reason for and date of your request. Sign the request. Send it to the Municipal Tax Department or submit it at the counter of the Leyweg City Office.


    Contact the Municipal Tax Department