Contesting your tax assessment

Do you disagree with your municipal tax assessment or with the appraised property value (WOZ-waarde)? You can contest the assessment.

File an objection


You must file your objection within 6 weeks after the date on the municipal tax bill or assessment notice.


You can file your objection online using your DigiD. Check which form you need:

In writing

If you do not have a DigiD, you can contest your taxes in writing.
Sign the form (bezwaarschrift) and send it within 6 weeks after the date on the municipal tax bill or assessment notice to the Municipal Tax Department or submit it at the counter.

You have various ways to submit an objection in writing:

  • By completing the online form, printing it out and signing it.
    • You can also submit an objection by writing a letter. The letter should contain:
      • your name and address
      • the date
      • the payment reference number on the assessment
      • the tax year
      • the tax you are contesting
      • the reason for your objection
      • your signature

    If you are filing an objection on behalf of somebody else, do not forget to enclose an authorisation.

    How long does it take?

    You will receive a confirmation of receipt from the Municipal Tax Department within 2 weeks. The municipality will deal with your objection as quickly as possible but in any case in the year in which it was submitted.

    Suspension of payment

    The Municipal Tax Department will grant a suspension of payment only for the (part of the) assessment you are contesting. You will still have to pay the part of the assessment which you are not contesting. Otherwise you will get a warning.


    If you no longer owed taxes during the course of the year, you can apply for an exemption (refund). A refund is possible only for the waste tax, dog tax and sufferance tax.

    In some cases you can also request a refund for part of the fees for an All-in-one building permit.

      Tax waiver

      If you have a low income and you do not own property or assets, you may be eligible for a tax waiver for municipal taxes. A tax waiver is possible for the waste tax, property tax, sewage charge for owners and the dog tax for the first dog.

      You can only apply for a tax waiver for all bills which have not yet been paid and amounts you paid less than 3 months ago.

      Other objection procedures

      Would you like to contest a decision made by the municipality on Social Affairs, a parking fine or other issues like subsidies or permits? There are other objection procedures (in Dutch) for this.


      Contact the Municipal Tax Department