The Hague Freedom Weeks
- 18 March 2017
- 25 April 2017
In the weeks leading up to the Liberation Festival on 5 May, The Hague will be filled with the spirit of freedom. The city will be organising some 50 activities during The Hague Freedom Weeks from 18 April to 5 May.
After all, our freedom is precious and must not be taken for granted. And it should be continuously safeguarded and discussed.
A large number of Hague organisations, including the Humanity House and ProDemos, will be joining forces to provide an interesting programme during the Freedom Weeks. Activities will be organised around the themes of liberty, peace, justice, democracy and the rule of law.
Organisers will place the focus on the importance of freedom through a range of debates, walking tours and exhibitions to films, lectures, dance performances and concerts.
- Freedom lectures. A series of lectures (in Dutch) on the 4 fundamental freedoms as articulated by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1941. Three of the lectures will be at ProDemos; the last one is on Malieveld.
- Theater na de Dam. During the evening of Remembrance Day on 4 May theatre makers and artists throughout the country to give the day extra meaning. Three theatres in The Hague will join in with performances about the Second World War: Zaal 3 (‘Krassen op de Huid’), Theater aan het Spui (‘‘Het Onderzoek van Peter Weiss’) and Theater De Vaillant (‘Wie niet weg is’).
- Opening of Bunkers on Badhuisweg. The German occupying forces build a command centre in the Nieuwe Scheveningse Bosjes in 1943. The 'Verteidigungsstab Scheveningen' held the command over the defence of The Hague from 13 bunkers. The Atlantikwall Museum has made a number of bunkers accessible and equipped them with authentic items.
- Walk with Maup. Maurits Burgers regularly organises walking tours through the city under the name ‘Wandelen met Maup’. For The Hague Freedom Weeks he has set out special routes along the thems of ‘Atlantikwall’ and ‘Thorbecke’.
- The Jewish History Boat Tour. Art historian Remco Dörr will be the day’s inspiring guide and then Rabbi Marianne van Praag will show the group around the synagogue.
- Holocaust Remembrance Day (Yom HaShoah) memorial service. The service in the Kloosterkerk on 23 April will commemorate the murdered Jews, Roma and Sinti during the Second World War.
- Songs of Freedom. On 29 April singer-sonwgriters will give a concert during a bus tour with 5 stops in the city: Loosduinse Hoofdplein, Oranjeplein, Regentesseplein, Tweede Haven and the Theresiastraat
- Liberty Tour. Walk in the tracks of the Canadian and Dutch liberators along the Liberation Route from Wageningen to The Hague. You can also cheer on the 10 Liberty Tour relay runners who will be carrying a flame over a distance of 135 km, ending at the Liberation Festival in The Hague.
The complete programme can be found on the website www.haagsevrijheidsweken.nl.