- 04 October 2016
- 29 November 2016
The Hague has several swimming pools which offer recreational swimming times as well as different types of lessons (for kids, parents and babies, and even adult swim lessons).
Click below for general information about each pool.
- De Blinkerd swimming pool is located in Scheveningen and has a lap pool, a shallow pool and a restaurant. It also has a Sport-O-theek and a sport hall.
- Escamphof is a therapeutic swimming pool equipped for swimmers with disabilities, with extra warm water and swimming lessons to people with special needs. You can use the pool after an operation or injury. The swimming pool is not available for recreational swimming.
- Het Hofbad swimming pool in Leidschenveen-Ypenburg has a state-of-the art, multifunctional nearly Olympic-sized swimming pool, instruction pool, recreational pool, water slide, whirlpool and children’s pool.
- De Houtzagerij swimming pool in the Schilderswijk has 3 pools. Preschoolers can splash around in the wading pool with the mushroom fountain. The pool also has a restaurant and sport hall.
- Overbosch swimming pool is located in Bezuidenhout and has 5 pools, including a children’s pool and a leisure pool featuring a wild water creek, fountains and a moveable swimming pool floor.
- De Waterthor swimming pool in the Vruchtenbuurt has 3 pools of different sizes and depths, including a wading pool.
- Zuiderpark swimming pool in Zuiderpark is a super cool recreational pool with a long water slide, wild water, solarium and a Turkish steam bath.
The majority of the municipal swimming pools offer certain activities at specific times. In order to help you decipher the timetables, we have translated a number of the Dutch terms for the swimming pool activities into English.
Swimming rules and safety
As a parent you can read up on several tips for swimming pool safety.
Click here for information on the swimming pool house rules.
It can at first appear quite challenging to find the right swimming lessons for your child as the more affordable courses have waiting lists. You can sign up for lessons online through the Sportwebshop of the Municipality of The Hague by using the swimming lesson registration form (zich inschrijven voor zwemles). You will then be placed on a waiting list. As soon as a place is available, you will be contacted by the municipality.
Other pools in the area
If you'd like to check out some pools outside of the city, here is a list of swimming facilities in the vicinity of The Hague.
- Kerkpolder (Delft)
- Sportfondsenbad (Delft)
- Vreeloo (De Lier)
- Maesemunde ('s-Gravenzande)
- De Fluit (Leidschendam-Voorburg)
- Forum Kwadraat (Leidschendam-Voorburg)
- Dol-fijn (Maassluis)
- De Boetzelaer (Monster)
- De Hoge Bomen (Naaldwijk)
- De Viergang (Pijnacker)
- De Schilp (Rijswijk)
- Het Wedde (Voorschoten)
- Het Sterrenbad Wassenaar (Wassenaar)
- De Driesprong (Zoetermeer)
- Aquapark Keerpunt (Zoetermeer)
- De Veur (Zoetermeer)
The Tikibad can be found in the Duinrell Amusement Park and is more than a tropical swimming pool. The Tikibad is the largest covered water slide paradise in Europe with 11 unique slides.
Although The Hague no longer has an outdoor swimming pool (other than a sizeable beach), you can swim in the ponds in the Madestein recreational park and the Blauwe Loper in Ypenburg. A number of outdoor swimming pools are located close to The Hague.