Renting a bicycle
Cycling in The Hague
- 13 June 2016
- 13 June 2016
If you don’t have a bicycle or are expecting company, you can rent bicycles at a number of spots in The Hague. This is a good opportunity to have a go on the classic Dutch bicycles.
Some suggestions about where to rent a bike include:
- the rental shops at Central Station (www.rijwielshopdenhaag.nl) and Hollands Spoor (www.rijwielshop-hollands-spoor.nl/verhuur) train station
- Rent a Bike The Hague on Noordeinde (www.rentabikethehague.nl)
- Du Nord Bicycle Rental in the Keizerstraat (www.fietsverhuurzuidholland.nl)
- Fietsverhuur Kijkduin in Loosduinen (www.fietsverhuur-kijkduin.nl)
- Haagsche Stadsfiets at 7 locations (www.fietsverhuurzuidholland.nl/haagsche-stadsfiets)
- Rent a Road Bike in Forepark (www.rent-a-road-bike.com/Den-Haag/The-Hague).
Some bicycle repair shops may be willing to rent out second-hand bikes but this is rarely done due to the risks of damage or theft. The person asking must be able to show that he is an experienced and responsible cyclist (and trustworthy person!) before the shop owner even considers taking the risk of hiring out his bicycle.
The OV-fiets scheme is not just a bicycle rental service but is designed to be used as part of the public transport system, providing a seamless switch between rail and bicycle journeys. When you arrive at the train station, you can borrow a bicycle, cycle to your destination and return the bike at the train station on your way back home.
To borrow an OV-fiets, you need to take out a subscription. This can be done online and coupled to your OV-chipkaart. You can borrow up to 2 bicycles at a time on one subscription card. Electric bicycles and NS-scooters can also be rented.
The bicycles are available at more than 250 locations in the Netherlands. The OV-fietsen in The Hague are conveniently located at the 4 train stations: Central, Hollands Spoor, Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indie and Mariahoeve. They are also available at an increasing number of Biesieklette bicycle lock-up facilities in The Hague's downtown area.
Visit the website of OV-fiets for more information.