Your search query

Registration procedures for people with residence permit

06 December 2016
14 February 2017

Are you coming from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you are not a citizen of 1 of these countries and you will be staying in The Hague for more than 4 months? Then you have applied for a residence permit from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) and you have to register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).

  • Make an online appointment.

Make an appointment

  • Please note: make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may no longer be any time to help you.
  • Everyone who needs to be registered, even children, must be present during the appointment at the Immigration Office.
  • Is the registration only for minor children (under 18 years)? Then only 1 parent needs to come to the appointment, with all of the children's documents. The children need to accompany the parent to the appointment.
  • You can also phone tel. 14 070 (telephone number from abroad: +31 70 353 30 00) to make an appointment.

What you need at the appointment

  • valid form of identification. A driving licence will not be accepted.
  • proof of legitimate residence. This can be a valid residence permit, or the residence note from the IND in your passport, or the MVV sticker issued after 1 June 2013 or the decision by the IND (TEV) / invitation by the IND to pick up the residence permit.
  • Proof of Occupancy.

If you have the following relevant documents, please take them with you to the appointment:

  • a recently-issued original birth certificate
  • if you are married, a recently-issued original marriage certificate.

These documents are only needed for the first registration or if you have never shown your certificates before. They will be reviewed during your appointment. These documents are not required in order to register. Both documents can also be presented at a later date. Make an appointment for this.


Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. More information on this subject is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. Check which rules apply under Translating foreign documents.


  • You will be living in The Hague for more than 4 months.
  • You have proof of legitimate residence (see What you need at the appointment).
  • If this situation does not apply to you, have a look at Settling in The Hague from abroad.

Highly-skilled migrants

If you qualify as a highly-skilled migrant, read more on Registration procedures highly-skilled migrants.


BRP registration is provided free of charge. The fees for the residence permit can be found on the website of the IND

How long does it take?

You will be registered in the BRP during your appointment. You will also get your Citizen Service Number (BSN) right away.

06 December 2016
14 February 2017