Your search query

Registration procedures for privileged persons

29 September 2014
04 November 2016

Are you employed in the Netherlands as a diplomat or consular officer? Or do you work for an international organisation, such as the United Nations? Then you have special residency status. You could consider registering in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP, formerly the GBA).

What you need for registration

  • A valid form of identification. A driving licence will not be accepted.
  • A Proof of Occupancy.
  • A recently-issued original birth certificate. If you are married, a recently-issued original marriage certificate. These documents are only needed for the first registration or if you have never shown your certificates before. They will be reviewed during your appointment. These documents are not required in order to register. Both documents can also be presented at a later date. Make an appointment for this.
  • Your privileged person's identity card.


Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. Check which rules apply under Translating foreign documents.


  • You qualify as a privileged person.
  • You are in possession of a privileged person's identity card.


This service is provided free of charge.

How long does it take?

You will be registered in the BRP during your appointment. You will then also get your Citizen Service Number (BSN) right away.

29 September 2014
04 November 2016