Your search query

Registration procedures for non-residents of the Netherlands

06 December 2016
06 December 2016

If you are coming to the Netherlands to work or to study for less than 4 months, you will need a Citizen Service Number (BSN). You get this unique personal number when you register as a non-resident with a Dutch municipality in the Register Niet Ingezetenen (RNI).

The Municipality of The Hague is 1 of the selected Dutch municipalities where you can register in the RNI. All of these municipalities are listed on the website of the Dutch government.

Please note: Do you have the special residency status of a privileged person? Then it does not make a difference whether you live in the Netherlands shorter or longer than 4 months. In both cases you may make an appointment to get a BSN.

This information is also available in:

First make an appointment

You can register in the RNI at the Immigration Office in The Hague City Hall by appointment only.

  • You can make an online appointment.

Make an appointment

  • You can also call the Municipality of The Hague on tel. 14 070 (telephone number from abroad: +31 70 353 30 00) to make an appointment.
  • Please note: make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may no longer be any time to help you.
  • Everybody who would like a BSN is required to come to the appointment.

The times you can make an appointment are:

  • Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9.00 to 17.00 hrs.
  • Exclusively for groups of more than 7 people (via employers and job agencies) only on Thursday evening from 17.00 to 20.00 hrs. For this service please send an email to

If you are unable to get an appointment quickly enough, you can also visit 1 of the other participating municipalities (see

What you need at the appointment

  • A valid form of identification (passport or identity card). Without a valid form of identification, it will not be possible for you to register with the municipality.
  • Do you have children aged 16 years or younger? They will also have to come with you to the appointment in order to be registered.
  • Bring a birth certificate for these children.
    During the appointment you will be registered immediately in the Register Niet Ingezetenen (RNI) and you will get your Citizen Service Number (BSN) right away.


You will need a BSN to arrange all your affairs with Dutch government agencies. The BSN is required for starting a job in the Netherlands, enrolling in an educational programme, opening a bank account, using the health care system, applying for benefits and paying taxes, to name a few examples. The nationality is not important for registration in the Register Niet Ingezetenen (RNI). Citizens of any country can register in the RNI. There are 2 ways to register in the Netherlands, depending on your situation.

  1. Are you staying in the Netherlands less than 4 months?
    Then you will need a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer) as of 6 January 2014. To register and acquire a BSN you can contact the Municipality of The Hague or 1 of the other selected RNI municipalities.
  2. Are you staying in the Netherlands longer than 4 months?
    Then you need to register with the municipality where you live or are going to live. If that’s The Hague, go to Settling in The Hague from abroad. You will also receive a BSN when you register.


This service is provided free of charge.

Incorrect details in the RNI

Would you like to change your address abroad or do you get an error message when applying for a DigiD? Then you can submit a correction request. Use the Request correction/supplementation of details in the Register Niet Ingezetenen (BRP) form.

Complete this form, print it out, sign it, scan it and send it together with a copy (preferably in colour) of a valid passport or identity card by email to: The municipality aims to process the correction within 5 working days.

RNI extract

If you would like to request an RNI extract, go to Extract non-resident of the Netherlands (RNI).

More information

In Dutch this procedure is also called Registratie niet-ingezetenen (RNI). More information can be found at:

06 December 2016
06 December 2016