Your search query

Registration procedures EU/EEA or Swiss citizens

06 December 2016
02 June 2017

Are you not a citizen of the Netherlands but a citizen of another EU/EEA country or Switzerland and will you be staying in The Hague for longer than 4 months? If you would like to register at an address in The Hague, then you have to register at the Immigration Office. You will then be registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP, formerly the GBA).

  • Make an online appointment.

Make an appointment

  • Please note: make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may no longer be any time to help you.
  • Everyone who needs to be registered, even children, must be present during the appointment at the Immigration Office.
  • Is the registration only for minor children (under 18 years)? Then only 1 parent needs to come to the appointment, with all of the children's documents. The children need to accompany the parent to the appointment.
  • You can also phone tel. 14 070 (telephone number from abroad: +31 70 353 30 00) to make an appointment.
  • If you work for a company or organisation that is authorised as a sponsor by the IND, you can make an appointment to visit The Hague International Centre. For more information go to Registration procedures highly-skilled migrants.

What you need at the appointment

If you have the following relevant documents, please take them with you to the appointment:

  • a recently-issued original birth certificate
  • if you are married, a recently-issued original marriage certificate.

These documents are only needed for the first registration or if you have never shown your certificates before. They will be reviewed during your appointment. These documents are not required in order to register. Both documents can also be presented at a later date. Make an appointment for this.


Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. Check which rules apply under Translating foreign documents.


  • You are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland.
  • You will be living in The Hague for more than 4 months.


This service is provided free of charge.

How long does it take?

You will be registered in the BRP during your appointment. You will also get your Citizen Service Number (BSN) right away.

06 December 2016
02 June 2017