Your search query

Registering children adopted from abroad

06 December 2016
19 June 2017

Did you adopt a child abroad and is that child going to live in The Hague? Then you must register the child in the Personal Records Database (BRP, previously GBA).

Does your adopted child have a foreign nationality when arriving in the Netherlands?

  • First you must make an appointment with the IND to register your child in the BRP as well as to apply for a residence permit for your child. For more information go to
  • You must come to the appointment in person, together with your child.
  • You will be notified once your child has been registered in the BRP, in principle within 4 weeks. This notification will also state your child’s Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN).
  • The IND processes the application for a residence permit and will send you a notification. Would you like to know the status of your application? Go to
  • The IND will notify you once you can pick up the residence permit.

Does your adopted child have Dutch nationality when arriving in the Netherlands?

Make an appointment

  • Make an appointment online with the Immigration Office in The Hague.
  • You can also make an appointment by calling tel. 14070.
  • Come to the appointment in person, together with your child.
  • Please note: make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may no longer be any time to help you.

What you need for the application

  • A valid form of identification for the adopted child and the parent(s). This may not be a driving licence. 
  • Does your child already have Dutch nationality when he arrives in the Netherlands? Then bring the child’s Dutch form of identification with you. 
  • A proof of occupancy.
  • A recent original birth certificate for your child. This is not a condition for registration. The certificate can also be submitted at a later moment. Make an appointment to do this. 
  • The foreign ruling by a court or other authority on the adoption. 
  • If you have other foreign adoption documents, then also bring these with you.

Depending on the situation, you may be asked to provide other documents as well.


Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille.


More information about the requirements for the language in which the certificate was drawn up can be found under Translating foreign documents.

The municipality will verify the authenticity of your identity documents.


Not all foreign adoptions will be registered. Only foreign adoptions which can be recognised under Dutch law can be registered in the BRP. Whether the foreign adoption can be recognised and registered will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.



How long does it take?

Once all of the documents have been approved, it will take 4 weeks before the registration has been processed in the BRP. Depending on the situation, it may take longer.

Registering birth certificate and adoption certificate

Would you like to have your adopted child’s birth certificate and adoption certificate registered with the Registry Office in The Hague? Then contact the Department of National Tasks (Afdeling Landelijke Taken).

06 December 2016
19 June 2017