Insurance for students
Work and money
- 04 April 2017
- 04 April 2017
It is important to ensure that you proper insurance coverage during your stay in The Hague. By law, it is mandatory to have health insurance. It is also recommended to take out liability insurance.
Everybody in the Netherlands must have insurance for medical expenses. The type of health insurance you need depends on your personal situation.
There are 3 different types of coverage:
- Dutch public healthcare insurance: you are free to buy insurance from any Dutch public healthcare insurance company and you may be eligible for compensation for your insurance costs (zorgtoeslag).
- EU Health Insurance Card: for EU/EEA or Swiss nationals studying in the Netherlands, but not working or doing an internship here.
- Private insurance: for non EU/EEA or Swiss nationals without a job or internship in the Netherlands.
The Netherlands is sometimes referred to as an 'insurance country', meaning that it's possible to purchase insurance for almost any kind of mishap. A few types of insurance are useful for foreign students in The Hague.
- Liability insurance: If you cause an accident and someone is injured or if you damage someone's property, you are responsible for paying all the costs caused by the accident.
- Repatriation insurance: This insurance policy covers the costs of returning to your own country for medical treatment.
- Household contents insurance: This type of insurance covers the contents of your home against loss due to causes such as theft, fire or water damage.
Study in The Hague provides information about insurance companies which offer insurance packages tailored to the needs of international students in the Netherlands.
- www.zorgwijzer.nl/zorgvergelijker/english (health insurance comparison tool)