Exemption for traffic bollards

Parts of The Hague are closed off to cars and trucks by retractable traffic bollards (pollers): barriers which can automatically be raised and lowered. Delivery vehicles may enter these car-free zones at certain times of the day (delivery hours). Would you like to be allowed in outside of these hours? Apply for an exemption.

The car-free zones are divided into clusters. You can request an exemption to be allowed to drive into a cluster outside of the arranged delivery hours. View the clusters and delivery hours (in Dutch). There are 2 kinds of exemptions: a permanent exemption and an occasional exemption.

Needed for the application

You may need the following when applying for the exemption:

  • copy of a valid form of identification
  • copy of the number plate of your car or truck
  • for residents and businesses with their own parking space: copy of the purchase deed or rental contract with the most recent proof of payment for the parking space
  • for taxi cab drivers: copy of permit for taxi driving
  • date/period you would like to drive into the area with flexible enclosures
  • the reason you would like access to the pedestrian area


An exemption for traffic bollards costs € 18.65 in 2019 per exemption card. You will receive an acceptgiro transfer payment slip after you submit your application.

How long does it take?

  • Processing a permanent exemption application takes about 3 weeks.
  • Processing an occasional exemption takes 1 working day. Please note: submit your application for an occasional exemption at least 2 working days before you need to use it.

Permanent exemption

Residents of a pedestrian area who do not have their own parking space in that area will get a permanent exemption. They can use it to drive into the area between 18.00 and 20.00 hrs. On evenings with late-night shopping (Thursdays) they can drive in between 21.00 and 22.00 hrs. 

The following vehicles are eligible for a permanent exemption:

  • Emergency service vehicles, public transportation, residents, businesses or other persons entitled to a private parking space in a pedestrian area
  • Taxis in accordance with Article 1.1 Vehicle Regulations or similar vehicles.
    Between 11.30 and 21.00 hrs they have limited access to the designated main routes (Grote Markt – Lutherse Burgwal, Kalvermarkt – Spui, Spui – Hofweg).
    They have access to the Binnenstad (cluster A to I) pedestrian area between 21.00 and 11.30 hrs.
    There are 3 possible taxi stands on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night: Grote Markt, Plein and Spui. These 3 stands are only for drivers affiliated with a Toegelaten Taxi Organisatie (TTO).
  • Municipal services which do repair or maintenance work in pedestrian areas or need to be present in the immediate vicinity of such work
  • Cash/valuables-in-transit vehicles, or jewellers
  • GPs, midwives who have to make home visits in the pedestrian area
  • The Kingdom of the Netherlands, for the benefit of members of the government, Royal and Diplomatic Protection Service, General Intelligence and Security Service, National Coordinator for Counterterrorism and other investigative and security services for them to exercise their public duties and authority in the pedestrian area.

Occasional exemption

An occasional exemption is valid for a maximum of 3 months. An occasional exemption may be issued for:

  • Utilities
  • Wedding or funeral procession
  • Construction, installation, repair or trouble-shooting service
  • Relocation
  • Press or media
  • Event
  • A company which carries out repair or maintenance work for the municipality and therefore needs to be in the pedestrian area.


  • Apply for a new permanent exemption if you have not previously had an exemption.
  • Apply to renew your annual exemption card for permanent exemption well before it expires.
  • Apply for an occasional exemption in the case of, for example, a wedding procession or if you are moving house.

Apply for an exemption for bollards

Access to clusters with exemption

The clusters all have their own letter: from A up to and including U. Your exemption card states the letter of the cluster for which you have exemption. Place this card behind your windscreen. The access pass works only for that cluster. The entrances and exits to the cluster are listed on the exemption card.