Converting a house into rental rooms

Do you want to convert a house into rental rooms? If so, you will need a conversion permit (omzettingsvergunning) from the municipality. This allows the house to be converted from independent living accommodation into a space for rental rooms.


The application for a conversion permit costs € 456.60 in 2019. This money will not be refunded if the municipality rejects your permit application.


As of 1 January 2015 only the owner of the house may apply for a conversion permit.

  • You can complete the form via DigiD. If you do not have DigiD, you can apply for one at
  • When completing the form via DigiD, you can provide 2 preferred dates for a visit by a city district inspector.
  • If you do not use DigiD, complete the form, print it out and send it by post to: Dienst Stedelijke Ontwikkeling, Postbus 12655, 2500 DP Den Haag.

Apply for the conversion permit

Also see Renting out a room