Apply for a Dutch passport or identity card after loss or theft

Have you lost your Dutch passport and/or identity card? Or has it been stolen? Then apply for a new passport and/or Dutch identity card at the municipality.

Needed for the application

  • A declaration of loss (you will fill this in when applying at the city district office).
  • An official report (if you already have one).
  • A passport photo. Strict rules apply to the passport photo. Read the requirements for photos on the website of the Dutch government.
  • A valid form of identification (if you have one).
  • Younger than 18 years when applying for a passport or younger than 12 years when applying for an identity card? Make sure you have written permission from both parents or from the people who have parental authority and bring (a copy of) their valid identification. You can use the Permission for a travel document form. 
Permission for a travel document form (PDF, 103,1 kB)


Are you applying for a new Dutch passport and/or Dutch identity card? Then the same conditions apply as for a Passport or Dutch identity card.


  • Make an appointment to apply for a new Dutch passport and/or Dutch identity card.
  • This appointment is at the Department of Public Service counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office.
  • You attend the appointment in person.

Make an appointment


  • Passport for 18 years and older: € 73.20
    Up to 18 years: € 55.35
  • Dutch identity card for 18 years and older: € 58.30
    Up to 18 years: € 30.70
  • Rush fee for expedited procedure: € 49.85

Rates 2020.

These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application. You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office.

How long does it take?

    • 5 working days. The pick-up receipt will state the date as of when you can collect your passport or identity card. You must collect the passport or identity card within 3 months after you apply for it. After that the document will no longer be valid and the municipality is obliged to annul it. If you would like a travel document after this 3-month period, then you will have to apply and pay for it again.
    • Do you need the new passport/identity card urgently? See if you can use the expedited procedure. The waiting time is shorter (maximum 2 working days if you apply before 14.00 hrs.) but it is also more expensive. Please note: the expedited procedure is not always possible. This will be decided at the municipal counter.
    • If your passport/identity card is lost or stolen, it can take more time. You will be notified by the municipality.