Temporarily abroad during the Dutch parliamentary elections

Will you be abroad on 17 March 2021 during the Dutch parliamentary elections? For example, for your work, studies or holiday? And are you registered in a Dutch municipality or in Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba? If so, you can vote by proxy or by post.

Authorise someone else to vote on your behalf (proxy)

You can have a family member or friend in the Netherlands vote on your behalf. You can authorise somebody (through a proxy). You can request a proxy vote at the municipality where you are registered. The person who will vote on your behalf can cast your vote only if he votes himself at the same time.

Will you be abroad only for a short time or only on the election day? Then it would be better to vote using a written proxy. You can request a written proxy at the municipality where you are registered.

Voting by post

You can also vote by post from your temporary address outside the Netherlands. To do this you need a postal voting slip. You can request a postal voting slip below.

Request a postal voting slip

  • Go to the form Request postal voting slip for voter temporarily abroad
  • Complete the form using your foreign residential address or mailing address and sign it.
  • Scan it or take a photo.
  • Send the form with a copy or photo of your valid identity document or upload it. You will receive a link in your email to the upload page.

    You can also send the documents by post to:
    Gemeente Den Haag
    Verkiezingen KBN
    Postbus 84 008
    2508 AA Den Haag Netherlands
  • You will get a confirmation by email once your request is received. The voting documents will be sent to your address abroad.

Your application must arrive at the Municipality of The Hague by 17 February 2021 at 23.59 hrs. (CET).

    More information

    Do you have any questions? Contact the Elections Unit at the Municipality of The Hague.

    Also see Dutch voters abroad

    Published: 20 October 2020Modified: 14 December 2020