Report a problem to the municipality

The ‘public domain' is a collective term for the spots which we all use. Examples include public spaces, roads, sports fields and parks. If you spot a problem or have a complaint about a public area, please report this to the municipality.

Report problems in the public space to ensure that the city stays clean, organised and tidy. Do you have a complaint about a public area? This can be reported online.

Examples of problems include: a missing manhole cover, a pothole or damaged road surface, litter or dog poop on the street, broken playground equipment, faulty street lighting, weeds, a dead animal in the water or overgrown grass. A complete overview of all the problems which you can report to the municipality can be found in Dutch at

The Melding openbare ruimte form is currently experiencing technical difficulties. The municipality is working to solve this problem as quickly as possible. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Report a problem (in Dutch)

What is needed to report a problem?

  • your name, email address and telephone number
  • your address (for some types of problems)
  • the location of the problem

If you do not know the exact address, click on the correct location on the map in the online form. It will automatically select the closest address. Use the space under the map to describe the problem in detail. The municipality needs this information to find and investigate the issue.

The municipality will request your telephone number in order to deal with the issue as swiftly as possible, for example if extra information is required.

All the information provided here will be treated in the strictest confidence. Personal details and address information will be used only for the purpose for which they were provided.

How long does it take?

The amount of time needed to solve the problem you are reporting depends on the type of issue. For many types of issues, the municipality will address the problem within 3 working days. Weather conditions such as extreme cold, snow or storms can delay work, which means that it can take longer for the municipality to address the problem. Also maintenance work is often done to public areas in set rotations and on fixed dates.

You can also report a problem using a free app. Download this app onto your mobile phone from the website of BuitenBeter. It takes longer for the municipality to process a problem reported through the app than through the ‘Report a problem’ button on this website. Issues reported using the Buiten Beter app in the weekend can be registered only the following week.

Overview of complaints about public areas

Although the online complaints form (Melding Openbare Ruimte) is in Dutch, the procedure is fairly straightforward. Below you will find a complete overview of all the problems you can report to the municipality. This list will assist you in filling out the form. It gives a translation for all the kinds of problems which can be reported.

Published: 13 June 2016Modified: 1 April 2021