Report an alternative address

An alternative address is the address in the Netherlands of a family member, friend or acquaintance. You can only have an alternative address if you do not have a home address.

Everyone residing in the Netherlands has to be registered as a tenant/resident at the address where he/she spends (most of) their nights. The municipality will register you at the address where you reside. If you do not have a home address, you can specify an alternative address (briefadres). An alternative address is the address of a family member, friend or acquaintance who has agreed to collect your mail.

This person must make sure that you actually receive your mail. When you apply for an alternative address, the municipality will check whether you really do not have a home address.


  • You can be registered at only 1 address in the Netherlands. This is either a residential address or an alternative address.
  • The address you specify must be a residential address. The address may not belong to a company or be a post office box number.
  • An alternative address is valid for a short period.
  • The person allowing you to use his address (main occupant or owner) must be registered at that address.

Read more about the conditions (in Dutch) in Regeling briefadres Den Haag 2018 and the wijziging regeling briefadres.

    Needed for the application

    A valid form of identification


    Are you moving to the Netherlands for the first time or are you deregistered and would you like to register again? Then this procedure does not apply to you. Go to the Contact page of the municipality for the contact details.

    • It is not possible to apply for an alternative address online. You need to make an appointment and visit the counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office.
    • During the appointment you will get an application form for an alternative address (aanvraagformulier briefadres) and an authorisation form (toestemmingsverklaring).
    • After you and the person allowing you to use his address have completed and signed the application form and authorisation form, you make another appointment at the Department of Public Service counter. You bring the application form and the authorisation form to the appointment and then apply for an alternative address.

    Make an appointment

    • The staff member at the counter will check whether the forms have been completed correctly and will forward your application to a colleague who will decide whether you are eligible for an alternative address.

    How long does it take?

    This depends on the situation. It can take up to 4 weeks if an investigation is required.



    Cancel alternative address

    Once you (again) have a home address, you will have to cancel your alternative address. Report your new home address in the Netherlands or your move abroad to the municipality.

    Information for main occupant

    • Are you the main occupant and are you in doubt about whether to give your permission to use your address as an alternative address? For example, because you do not know what the consequences are for your welfare benefits, rent benefit or taxes? Then you should seek advice from the relevant authorities before granting your permission.
    • You can always revoke your permission again. This can be done in person at the municipal counter or online. Go to Address investigation.