Procedures for privileged persons

Members of this group include the people who are working on Dutch soil as a diplomatic or consular official, or who are employed at an international organisation.

They enjoy a special 'privileged' status and are not considered foreigners under the auspices of the


Privileged persons do not need to register with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) because they are registered in the Probas (Protocollaire basisadministratie) system of the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Privileged persons are not obliged to register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP, formerly the GBA). However, it is strongly advised that members of this group do register in the BRP as a number of official organisations in the Netherlands make use of this personal records database. For example, these official organisations could request a BRP extract (uittreksel) from you as proof of address. Please note that you are also able to get an extract from the Probas system of the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

To read about the exact procedure, click on Registration procedures for privileged persons.

Please note: privileged persons can make an appointment to register in the BRP by sending an email to

BSN number

Each newly arrived privileged person will receive the citizen service number, the Burgerservicenummer/BSN (which replaces the tax and social insurance number or SoFi number), from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Read more about the Burgerservicenummer for privileged persons here.

Published: 31 March 2014Modified: 23 June 2017