Registration procedures for people with residence permit

Are you coming from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you are not a citizen of 1 of these countries and you will be living in The Hague for more than 4 months? Then you have applied for a residence permit from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) and you have to register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).


Are you coming from abroad and have you been registered in the Netherlands before? Or if you already have a citizen service number (BSN) or the old Sofi number, go to Resettling in The Hague from abroad.

What you need at the appointment

  • valid form of identification (this may not be a driving licence)
  • proof of legitimate residence (this can be: a valid residence permit, or the residence note from the IND in your passport, or the MVV sticker issued after 1 June 2013 or the decision by the IND / invitation by the IND to pick up the residence permit)
  • proof of occupancy
  • all family members who wish to register

If you are in possession of the following relevant documents, please take them with you to the appointment:

  • a recently-issued original birth certificate
  • if you are married, a recently-issued original marriage certificate.

These documents will be reviewed during your appointment. These documents are not required for registration. Both documents can also be presented at a later date. Make an appointment to do this (go to the appointment button below).


Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the website of


Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. Check which rules apply under Translating foreign documents.

Make an appointment

Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time left to help you.

  • Make an online appointment.
  • Indicate how many people will be at the appointment.
  • All of the people need to appear at the appointment in person.
  • If you are eligible for the IND's residency procedure for highly-skilled migrants and scientific researchers, you can make an appointment at The Hague International Centre.

Make an appointment


    BRP registration is provided free of charge. The fees for the residence permit can be found on the website of the IND

    How long does it take?

    It depends of your personal situation and the documents which are required. Usually your BRP registration will be processed within 4 weeks once you have submitted all of your documents. You will receive a letter from the municipality with the confirmation of your registration.