Registration procedures EU/EEA or Swiss citizens

Are you not a citizen of the Netherlands but a citizen of another EU/EEA country or Switzerland and will you be living in The Hague for longer than 4 months? If you would like to register at an address in The Hague, then you have to register at the Centrum city office. You will then be registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).

Are you coming from abroad and have you been registered in the Netherlands before? Or do you already have a citizen service number (BSN) or the old Sofi number? Go to Registering again in the BRP.


  • You are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland.
  • You will be living in The Hague for more than 4 months.

What you need at the appointment

If you are in possession of the following relevant documents, please take them with you to the appointment:

  • a recently-issued original birth certificate
  • if you are married: a recently-issued original marriage certificate.

These documents will be reviewed during your appointment. They are not required in order to register. You can also submit both documents at a later date (by appointment).


Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the website of


Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. Check which rules apply under Translating foreign documents.

Make an appointment

Make sure that you are on time for your appointment. If you arrive too late, there may be no time left to serve you.
  • Make an online appointment.
  • Fill in the correct home address when you make the appointment. This is the address where you will be registered.
  • Indicate how many people will be at the appointment.
  • All of the people need to appear at the appointment in person.
  • If you are eligible for the IND's residency procedure for highly-skilled migrants and scientific researchers, you can make an appointment at The Hague International Centre.

Make an appointment



How long does it take?

It depends of your personal situation and the documents which are required. Usually your BRP registration will be processed within 4 weeks once you have submitted all of your documents. You will receive a letter from the municipality with the confirmation of your registration.

Also see: Information on about Brexit and British citizens in the Netherlands