Registering foreign documents in the BRP

If your vital events took place abroad, you are required to register these in the Personal Records Database (BRP, formerly GBA) of your municipality. Such vital details could include a birth, marriage, death, divorce, acknowledgment of paternity or adoption. The documents concerning these life events are also called source documents.

Who is it for?

Everyone who:

  • is registered in the BRP of the Municipality of The Hague
  • had vital events take place abroad which are not yet registered in the BRP


  • You must have the documents registered in the BRP in the municipality in which you reside.
  • The vital detail must be ‘legally valid’ in the country where it took place. This means that the document must be drawn up according to local regulations and by an authorised agency.

Needed at the registration

If you would like to register a foreign document, you will need the following documents:

  • A valid form of identification.
  • An original foreign document.
  • If you would like to register a foreign marriage certificate, you may need an extra declaration. If this applies to your situation, both partners need to sign this declaration. Would you like to register a divorce and did this take place in an EU country (with the exception of Denmark)? Then you will also need a 'Brussels II bis Certificate'. This document is usually available at the organisation which pronounced the divorce. A legalised divorce document or a divorce document with apostille is then no longer required.  
  • Are you submitting the documents on behalf of someone else? Bring a written authorisation and (a copy of) a valid form of identification for the person giving you authorisation. The person for whom you are submitting the documents can at any time be asked to visit the municipal counter in person.


A foreign document is not automatically legally valid in the Netherlands. Check whether your documents need to be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the website of


Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. Check which rules apply under Translating foreign documents.

    Make an appointment

    • Make an appointment online to register your documents in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This way you can avoid long queues at the city office.
    • Bring your documents to a Department of Public Service counter at the Centrum or Escamp city office.
    • If you are (or were) a Dutch citizen or you have a permanent asylum residence permit (residence permit III or IV), you can also register the foreign certificate of birth, marriage or death with The Hague's Registry Office at the Department of National Tasks (Afdeling Landelijke Taken) after you register it in the BRP.

    Make an appointment



      How long does it take?

      The time required for the registration differs per case. Usually it takes 4 weeks. If further investigation is needed, it can take longer.

      Dying abroad

      Information on reporting a death which occurred abroad can be found at