1st BRP registration when coming from abroad with residence permit (you do not have a BSN)

Do you have the nationality of a country from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland? Have you never previously lived in the Netherlands and will you be living in The Hague for 4 months or longer? Then you need to register with the municipality in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This is required by law.

Have you lived in the Netherlands before? Do you already have a citizen service number (BSN) or Sofi number? Or are you staying for less than 4 months? Go to Registering again in the BRP.


  • You have proof of lawful residence. This can be:

    • a permanent residence document
    • a residence endorsement sticker from the IND in your passport
    • the temporary regular residence permit sticker (MVV)
    • authorisation by the IND (Entrance and Residence procedure, TEV)
    • the invitation by the IND to pick up the residence permit.
  • You will be living in The Hague for 4 months or longer.
  • You have not previously been registered in the Netherlands.
  • You do not yet have a citizen service number (BSN) or Sofi number.

Needed at the appointment

Have you applied for asylum? And have you not (yet) received a final decision on your application? Then take the following documents to your appointment:

  • Your valid foreign nationals identity document (Vreemdelingen Identiteitsbewijs, VI) or residence document.
    See the information under Foreign Nationals Identity Document (Type W and W2) on the website of the IND.
  • The report on the initial and subsequent interviews with the IND.
  • Are you an unaccompanied minor? Then you need a guardian provided by Nidos. In this case also take your supervision order to the appointment.

Were you born, married or divorced abroad? Also take your foreign documents to the appointment. For example:

  • your birth certificate
  • the birth certificates of your partner and/or your children
  • your marriage certificate or certificate of unmarried partnership
  • divorce papers
  • adoption papers and/or a death certificate for your partner or child

These documents are not required for registration. Nevertheless take them with you to your appointment. The municipality will review these documents. If they are in order, the information will be registered in the BRP.

Sometimes your certificate or document needs to be legalised and/or translated. You can look up country specific information on the website of netherlandsandyou.nl. Choose the country which issued your document. 

Make an appointment

  • Make an appointment via the website.
  • Fill in your new address in The Hague.
  • Indicate how many people need to be registered. Include all family members. Otherwise there may not be enough time to register everybody.

Make an appointment

    Come on time. If you arrive too late, there may be no time left to help you.

    Are you a recognised scientific researcher? Do you fall under the highly-skilled migrant scheme of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)? Or do you have a 'privileged' status in the Netherlands? Make an appointment at The Hague International Centre (THIC).

    Make an appointment at THIC



    How long does it take?

    Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP within 4 weeks. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information and your citizen service number by post.

    Good to know