1st BRP registration for EU/EEA and Swiss nationals coming from abroad

Do you have the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland? Are you coming from abroad to live in The Hague for 4 months or longer? And have you never previously lived in the Netherlands? Then you need to register with the municipality in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This is required by law.

Have you lived in the Netherlands before? Do you already have a citizen service number (BSN) or Sofi number? Or are you staying for less than 4 months? Go to Registering again in the BRP.


  • You are a national of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland.
  • You will be living in The Hague for 4 months or longer.
  • You have not previously been registered in the Netherlands.
  • You do not yet have a citizen service number (BSN, formerly Sofi number).

Needed at the appointment

If you were born, married or divorced abroad, also take the following documents to the appointment:

  • Your birth certificate.
  • If applicable: the birth certificates of your partner and/or your children.
  • If applicable: your marriage certificate or certificate of unmarried partnership.
  • If applicable: divorce papers.
  • If applicable: adoption papers and/or a death certificate for your partner or child(ren).

These documents are not required for registration. Nevertheless take them with you to your appointment. The municipality will review these documents. If they are in order, the information will be registered in the BRP.

Sometimes your certificate or document needs to be legalised and/or translated. You can look up country specific information on the website of netherlandsandyou.nl. Choose the country which issued your document. 

Make an appointment

  • Make an appointment via the website.
  • Fill in your new address in The Hague.
  • Indicate how many people need to be registered. Include all family members. Otherwise there may not be enough time to register everybody.

    Make an appointment

    Let op!

    Come on time. If you arrive too late, there may be no time left to help you.

    If you:

    you need to make an appointment at The Hague International Centre (THIC).

    Make an appointment at THIC



    How long does it take?

    Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP within 4 weeks. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information.

    Good to know

    • Have your birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce papers, adoption certificate(s) or other important documents not (yet) been registered in the BRP? Have this done as quickly as possible. Make an appointment to register foreign source documents in the BRP.  
    • Would you like to know which personal details the Dutch population register (BRP) contains and what they are used for? Read about this on the website of the Dutch government.
    • Will you be moving to another address in The Hague? Report your move.
    • Will you be moving to another municipality in the Netherlands or abroad? Report your move to the new municipality or deregister.
    • Everybody 16 years and older must report his or her own move if they have not been placed under guardianship.
      Also see: Information on the website of the Dutch government about Brexit and British citizens in the Netherlands