Leaving the Netherlands (deregistration)

Just as it’s compulsory to register upon arrival, it’s also necessary to deregister when moving out of the Netherlands.

When leaving the Netherlands to live abroad, you must report this to the municipality within 5 days of your date of departure. This is possible in writing or in person at the Department of Public Service counter at 1 of The Hague's city district offices.

Procedure at the municipality

If everyone in the household is moving abroad, 1 adult member of the family may deregister the entire family. If 1 or more residents of the same address are staying in the Netherlands, everyone who is leaving the Netherlands must appear in person at the municipal office when reporting the move.

Expats who live in The Hague and who completed their registration at The Hague International Centre can also deregister at The Hague International Centre from Monday to Thursday from 9.00 to 12.00 hrs.

Exact details of the deregistration procedure can be found under Report your move abroad.

You may need an official proof of deregistration to terminate services such as the telephone or insurance coverage. To explicitly request an extract (proof) from the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP, formerly the GBA), please read the information under BRP extract.

Returning your IND card

You need to return your IND card after your stay in the Netherlands and after deregistration. The card remains state property. You can hand in the residence permit to one of the IND desks or you can send the card by post along with a short accompanying letter or a copy of your official proof of deregistration to the IND:

Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst
Bureau documenten
Postbus 7025
8007 HA Zwolle

You can also hand in your IND card at The Hague International Centre from Monday to Thursday from 9.00 to 12.00 hrs.

Also see Report your move

    Published: 16 January 2014Modified: 9 April 2018