Arranging an unmarried partnership

An unmarried partnership (geregistreerd partnerschap) makes your relationship official by law. Not all countries recognise unmarried partnerships. The differences between a marriage and unmarried partnership in the Netherlands have practically been eliminated since 1 April 2014.

About unmarried partnership

  • Any person aged 18 years or older may enter into a registered partnership.
  • Under Dutch law it is not possible to be married and be in an unmarried partnership at the same time.
  • In the Netherlands, you automatically became unmarried partners in general community of property until 1 January 2018. As of 1 January 2018 new rules took effect. Now there is automatically a limited community of property. More information can be found on the website of the Dutch government
  • If you plan to register your partnership, you first need to register this intent.
  • You can announce your intention in any municipality in the Netherlands. It is most practical to do this in the municipality where you will enter into your partnership.
  • The partnership will be registered by the Registry Office. If you would like a civil officer who has not been designated by the Municipality of The Hague as a civil officer, then you can get more information by sending an email to This request is not possible for a simplified or free partnership registration.

Difference between unmarried partnership and marriage

More information about an unmarried partnership and the difference between an unmarried partnership and marriage can be found on the website of the Dutch government.


  • Civil wedding venue: take a look at the rates for the municipal wedding locations and for the free-choice venues. You will need to pay the moment you make the reservation for the wedding venue.
  • Designating a civil officer who is not a civil officer in The Hague costs € 183.35 in 2020.
  • If you use The Hague's own designated civil officers, then the costs are included in the fee for the municipal wedding venue. At a free-choice venue the costs for using The Hague's own designated civil officers are included in the municipal fees.
  • You can order a partnership booklet (not required), a fee will be charged.
  • Certain documents for the notice of intent to register an unmarried partnership. The costs depend on the situation.
You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office.

Simplified or free partnership registration

There is 1 location in The Hague where a simplified or free partnership registration is possible.