Arrange a registered partnership

You can make your relationship official by entering into a registered partnership. Registered partnerships are not always recognised outside of the Netherlands. There is not much difference between marriage and registered partnership in the Netherlands.

About registered partnership

  • Everyone 18 years or older can enter into a registered partnership.
  • Under Dutch law it is not possible to be married and be in a registered partnership at the same time.
  • In the Netherlands couples automatically became registered partners in general community of property until 1 January 2018. As of 1 January 2018 new rules took effect. Registered partners now automatically have limited community of property. More information can be found on the website of the Dutch government.
  • If you plan to enter into a partnership, you first need to give notice of intent.
  • You can register your intention in any municipality in the Netherlands. It is most practical to do this in the municipality where you will enter into your partnership.
  • The partnership will be registered by the Registry Office. If you would like a civil registrar who has not been designated by the Municipality of The Hague as a civil registrar, then you can email your request to This request is not possible for a simplified or free partnership registration.

Difference between registered partnership and marriage

More information about a registered partnership and the difference between a registered partnership and marriage can be found on the website of the Dutch government.


  • Civil wedding location: take a look at the rates for the municipal wedding locations and for the free-choice venues. You will need to pay the moment you make the reservation for the wedding venue.
  • Designating a civil registrar who is not a civil registrar in The Hague costs in 2021: € 185.85).
  • If you use The Hague's own designated civil officers, then the costs are included in the fee for the municipal wedding venue. At a free-choice venue the costs for using The Hague's own designated civil officers are included in the municipal fees.
  • You can order a partnership booklet (not required), a fee will be charged.
  • Certain documents for the notice of intent to enter a registered partnership. The costs depend on the situation.
You can pay in cash or use a bank card at City Hall Spui. You can only use a bank card at the Leyweg City Office. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay with a credit card.

Simplified or free partnership registration

There is 1 location in The Hague where a simplified or free partnership registration is possible.