Indicate your new surname

You are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) under the surname you were given at birth (own birth name). Sometimes your marital status will change, for example, because you get married or divorced. You can then choose how you would like to be addressed by indicating your surname or a combination of surnames. Agencies which get their details from the BRP will then address you with the name you have indicated.

You can indicate your new surname 2 weeks after the change in your marital status.

Needed for the new surname

  • at the counter: a valid form of identification
  • in writing: a copy of a valid form of identification

You need to be registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

    What name can you choose?

      • You can use the surname of your partner.
      • You can use a combination of both surnames. You can determine the order of the names yourself.
      • You can use your own birth name.

      Your own birth name will always remain in your passport, identity card or driving licence, even if your marital status changes. You can have your partner’s surname stated on these documents.

      A request for a new surname in the BRP is different from legally changing your family name. More information can be found under Changing your name.



      How long does it take?

      • online: 5 working days
      • at the counter: immediately
      • in writing: 10 working days


      • Apply for a new surname online.
      • You can also apply for a new surname at a Department of Public Service counter at the Centrum and Escamp city offices.
        Make an appointment to apply for a new surname. This way you will avoid a long queue at the city district office.

      Make an appointment