Civic integration exam

Are you a newcomer to the Netherlands and do you want to live in The Hague for a longer period of time? You must pass the civic integration exam.

If you are from a non-EU country, you are required to pass the civic integration exam (inburgeringsexamen). However, certain people are exempt from this requirement, for example people who come to the Netherlands to work or study. You will receive a letter from the Education Executive Agency DUO if you are obliged to pass the exam.

You will be tested in 6 areas:

  • reading comprehension
  • listening comprehension
  • writing skills
  • spoken Dutch
  • knowledge of Dutch society
  • finding your way on the Dutch labour market

Taking the exam

You must register with DUO if you want to take the civic integration exam. Use your DigiD to submit your registration.

Paying for courses and exams

You will have to pay to take the courses and exams. However, if you are not able to pay the full amount, it is possible to borrow money from DUO if you take your courses at a ‘Blik op weg’ approved school. Take a look at the website for a list of approved schools in The Hague.

You will have to pay back the loan from DUO in instalments at a later date. Different rules may apply if you are an asylum migrant. DUO can loan you the money to pay for your exams and courses. You do not have to pay back the loan if you pass your civic integration exam within 3 years.

More information

Do you need more information about integration in the Netherlands and taking the exam? Visit the DUO website.

Published: 28 September 2017Modified: 28 September 2017