Registration procedures for international students

Foreign students who will be staying in The Hague for longer than 4 months are required to be registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

The municipality organises a centralised registration day. During this registration day, the international students can get registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP). They do not have to make a separate appointment at the municipality for this.

The centralised registration day for the 2021-2022 academic year will take place on Saturday, 11 September in The Hague City Hall, Spui 70.

Participating schools of higher education

The centralised registration day is only for students at schools of higher education which are participating in the centralised registration days. These are:

Saturday, 11 September 2021

  • De Haagse Hogeschool/The Hague University
  • International Institute of Social Studies (ISS)
  • Koninklijke Academie van Beeldende Kunsten/Royal Academy of Art The Hague
  • Koninklijk Conservatorium/Royal Conservatoire The Hague
  • Hotelschool Den Haag/Hotelschool The Hague
  • University of Leiden/Campus The Hague

          All international students will be notified by their schools on exactly where and when they can come by.

          Bring the right documents

          To facilitate the registration procedure at their school, it is important that the students have the correct documents with them:

          • A fully completed municipal registration form. The school will give this form to the students prior to the registration days.
          • A valid form of identification: a passport or identity card. 
          • A copy of the passport or identity card (back and front), to keep in the files.
          • Proof of address. This can be a rental contract which clearly states the address (including house number and, if applicable, room number). Or written permission from the main occupant (including a copy of a valid form of identification for the person giving permission).
          • For students who need to apply for a residence permit: a copy of the acknowledgement of receipt which the school received from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). The school will provide this document to the student.


          The students will receive a citizen service number (BSN) approximately 2 weeks after registering with the municipality. This number is required to open a bank account or take out a health insurance policy.

          Published: 14 February 2017Modified: 16 August 2021